Mint Facilties for Morgan Dollars
The [Coinage Act of 1792] was entered into law on April 2. It proclaimed the creation of the [United States Mint]. [Philadelphia] at that time was the nation's capital; therefore the first mint facility was built there. The Mint Act also instituted a decimal system based on a dollar unit; specified weights, metallic composition and fineness; and required each [United States] coin feature "an impression emblematic of liberty".
1st Building (1792-1833) Ye Olde Mint
2nd Building (1833-1901)
4th and Current Building (1969-Present)
It was the world's largest mint when it was built and held that distinction as of January 2009
The Denver Mint, like the mints at Charlotte, Dahlonega, San Francisco, and Carson City, came into existence because precious metals were found nearby. But more than forty-three years passed from the day President Lincoln signed off on the Denver Mint in April of 1862, until the first coins were struck in February of 1906
Appropriations to complete and equip the plant were insufficient, and the transfer of assay operations to the new building were delayed until September 1, 1904. Coinage operations finally began in February 1906, advancing the status of the Denver facility to Branch Mint. In addition, before the new machinery to be used at the Mint was installed for use, it was first sent to the [St. Louis Exposition] of 1904 for display. Silver coins were minted in Denver for the first time in 1906. During the first year, 167 million coins were produced, including $20 gold ([double eagle]) coins, $10 gold (eagle) coins, $5 gold (half eagle) coins, and assorted denominations of silver coins.
1st Building Privately owned by Clark and Gruber Assay Operations Building
Established by an [Act of Congress] on April 21, 1862, the United States Mint at Denver opened for business in late 1863 as a United States [Assay Office]. Operations began in the facilities of Clark, Gruber and Company, located at 16th and Market Streets and acquired by the government for $25,000.
1st Denver Mint Building (Government Owned)
The original Carson City building is a formal balanced, sandstone block edifice, two stories high with a centrally located cupola. The sandstone blocks were quarried at the Nevada State Prison.
On March 3, 1862, Congress passed a bill establishing a branch mint in the territory of Nevada. The output of the Comstock Lode coupled with the high bullion transportation costs to San Francisco proved the necessity of a branch in Nevada.
From its opening in 1870 to the closing of the coin operations in 1893, coinage amounted to $49,274,434.30.
History of the Carson City: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i0O-_pbddI
The New Orleans Mint operated in [New Orleans], [Louisiana], as a branch [mint] of the [United States Mint] from 1838 to 1861 and from 1879 to 1909. During its years of operation, it produced over 427 million [gold] and [silver] coins of nearly every [American denomination], with a total face value of over [US$]307 million.[[]] It was closed during most of the [American Civil War] and [Reconstruction].
After its decommissioning as a mint, the building served a variety of purposes, including as an [assay office], a [United States Coast Guard] storage facility and a [fallout shelter]. Since 1981 it has served as a branch of the [Louisiana State Museum]. Damaged by [Hurricane Katrina] in 2005, after over two years of closure for repair and renovation, the museum reopened in October 2007.
The New Orleans Mint has been designated a [National Historic Landmark], and is currently the oldest surviving structure to have served as a U.S. Mint. Along with the [Charlotte Mint], it is one of two former mint facilities in the United States to house an [art gallery].[[]]
View of the New Orleans Mint
Photo of the New Orleans Mint from 1907