1900-O VAM-8B O/O/CC Centered, Shifted Left Rust Spots, Near Date, Clashed Obv n, st
Discovered by Mark Kimpton, March 2005.
This coin is a Top 100 Morgan VAM.
8B III25 · C3f (O/O/CC Centered, Shifted Left Rust Spots, Near Date, Clashed Obv n, st) (189) I-5 R-5
Obverse III25– Strongly clashed die with partial incuse n of In from reverse next to Liberty head neck and partial st of Trust from reverse showing in right hair vee of lower hair edge.
1. The 1900-O VAM-8 comes along with three other variations attributed as the VAM-8A, VAM-8B and VAM-8C. The VAM-8 shows the O/O/CC mintmark details. The 1900-O VAM-8A has the same mintmark along with pitting believed to be caused by rusted dies.
2. The VAM-8B has these details plus die clashed letters n,s,t, on the obverse. The partial incuse n of In from reverse appears next to Liberty head neck and partial st of Trust from reverse shows in right hair vee of lower hair edge.
3. The 8C has the reverse extensively polished to remove the clash marks.
4. All this activity with the o/cc and the rusted areas makes this VAM an I-5 It's a great VAM with a lot of desirable VAM features!
5. This variety can be found in attractive mint state grades, sometimes in O/CC slabs with no VAM attribution.
LVA Plate Photos:
Below is a photo of the mintmark on the reverse which is the primary attribute to recognize the VAM-8 varieties. The O/CC feature is thick (on the right side) and quite pronounced!
Clashed obverse lettering out of neck:
Clashed obverse lettering under hair:
Nice clashed wreath outline to right of cap:
Full Coin Photos
Large Full Coin Copyrighted© VAM-8B Images on loan to VAMworld courtesy ©[Heritage Auctions] ATTRIBUTED BY John Roberts at ANACS