1891-O VAM-1A2 Clashed Obverse D & O, Reverse BERT, Dome Die Sink
Discovered by Herb Zepke and David Hur?
This coin is a Top 100 Morgan VAM.
1A2 III2 1 · C3a (Clashed Obverse D & O, Reverse BERT, Die Break Left Wreath) (181) I-5 R-7
Obverse III2 1 - Beveled field at rim above PLURIBUS.
Reverse C3a– Die break at eye socket clash area at right inside of left wreath. It starts as a raised dome with depressed areas at top and right of eye socket line. Final die state (See VAM 1A3) has a large raised vertical bar break on left side of profile line extending up to wreath leaf.
1. In addition to the dramatic E clash, a pronounced swelling in the field between the olive leaves and the wreath is clearly visible.
2. So the order in progression is:
- 1st VAM-1a1 Clash
- 2nd VAM-1a4 Clash Polishing and gouge
- 3rd VAM-1a2 Depression to Bump
- 4th VAM-1a3 Terminal break on Bump with non displaced radial break from UNITED
- VAM-1A1 Through 1A4
1. Russ Coin LVA 2013
LVA Plate Photos:
Full Coin Photos
Large Full Coin Photo of VAM-1A2 Photo and Attribution By 'TwoHawks Confirmed by Leroy Van Allen'