1891-O VAM-1A1 Clashed Obverse D & O, Reverse BERT
This coin is a Top 100 Morgan VAM.
1A1(revised) III21 · C3a (Clashed Obverse D & O, Reverse BERT) (181) I-5 R-5
Obverse III21– Strongly clashed die at top with partial incuse O of O mint mark from reverse showing above right wheat leaf. Part of incuse top of D of DOLLAR from reverse shows below I of PLURIBUS.
Reverse C3a– Strongly clashed die with full raised E below eagle’s tail feathers on left side and partial raised B at left of E, tip of R to right of E and raised bar of T in middle of tail feathers from obverse LIBERTY. Centered circular medium III O mint mark.
1. Four die states of this die pair have been catalogued.
The order in progression is:
- 1st VAM-1a1 Clash
- 2nd VAM-1a4 Clash Polishing and gouge
- 3rd VAM-1a2 Depression to Bump
- 4th VAM-1a3 Terminal break on Bump with non displaced radial break from UNITED
- VAM-1A1 Through 1A4
2. The final die state 1891-O VAM-1A3 has a large raised verticle bar break on left side of profile line extending up to wreath leaf.
3. This VAM has a the strongest E clashed on the reverse of any Morgan dollar. In fact, the E on the reverse looks like it was actually part of the design it was so strong.
4. This is a really cool variety well worth a substantial premium to own in AU. Mint state examples are exceptionally rare.
1. Russ's Coin to LVA 2013 http://www.vamworld.wikispaces.com/share/view/65101022
3. AdiosVW-II Thread
LVA Plate Photos:
Full Coin Photos
Large Full Coin of VAM-1A1 Photo and Attribution By 'TwoHawks'