1881-O VAM-24 Doubled Right 1
Discovered by Martin Field, September 1982. Revised 2015, 2016
24(revised) III2 14 ∙ C3a (Doubled Right 1) (176) I-2 R-5
Obverse III2 14 - Die 1 - Right 1 doubled as notch at lower left side on vertical shaft.
Die marker- Short vertical die scratch at top right of right cotton leaf.
Die 2 - Right 1 doubled as notch at lower left side on vertical shaft. Left 8 has short spike in upper left inside of upper loop.
Die marker- Single diagonal polishing line in vee between cap top and fold.
Reverse C3a -
Die marker- Several short diagonal die polishing lines at lower right outside of eagle's right leg.
- VAM 24.1 uses the clashed reverse die of VAM 1K with a different, unclashed obverse.
- Multiple die pairs exist for VAM 24.
- The VAM 24.2 is the earliest die stage of the sequence 24.2, 52, 66, 1, 19, 68.
- The pitting pattern in the wing-neck gap is the same on all of these. (JB)
- Dougs Coin (C3q Die 1) http://www.vamworld.com/share/view/38113282
- HawkeEye Coin http://www.vamworld.com/share/view/74294741
LVA Plate Photos
Full Coin Photos
Full Coin VAM-24.1 Images © VSS, used with permission. Attributed by Leroy Van Allen
Full Coin VAM-24.2 Images © VSS, used with permission. Attributed by Leroy Van Allen