1879-S VAM-6 PAF, Tiust, Engraved Wing Feather
Discovered by George Mallis, June 1965.
This is a Reverse of '78 (PAF) coin and a Top 100 VAM variety.
6 III2 2b · B2c (PAF, Tiust, Engraved Wing Feather) (184) I-4 R-5
Obverse III2 2b – Open 9.
Die marker- Diagonal polishing lines on upper lip.
Reverse B2c – Broken r in Trust to form Tiust with upper serif completely missing. Small III S mint mark tilted slightly to left. Feather engraved between eagle’s right wing and leg.
Die marker- Die chip on 2nd inside feather from bottom of eagle’s left wing.
1. his obverse die was used on VAM-6 and VAM-58.
2. This reverse die was used on VAM-6 and VAM-46.
3. One of two 1879-S VAMs with completely broken r, TIUST. The other is VAM-46, which has a closed 9.
4. There is a horizontal polish line in the Y of LIBERTY.
LVA Plate Photos:
The 9 in the date is clearly the open type of 9.
There are diagonal polishing lines on the upper lip.
There is a completely broken r in Trust, making it TIUST.
There is an engraved feather between the right leg and the wing which has been polished down to the field.
The mint mark tilts slightly to the left. The tail feathers are polished down to the field and there are no polishing lines in the bow.
2 copyrighted© images below on loan to VAMworld courtesy of oldcollectorcoins from a coin of Brian Raines
Full Coin Photos
Full Coin Copyrighted© VAM-6 Images on loan to VAMworld courtesy ©'[Heritage Auctions] ATTRIBUTED BY 'Mike Faraone at PCGS
- The Top 100 Morgan Dollar Varieties: The VAM Keys Copyright 2009 RCI. With permission from the authors Michael S. Fey, Ph.D., [http://www.rcicoins.com], and Jeff Oxman, [http://www.vamlink.com]