1878-S VAM-35 Sextupled Left Stars, Doubled Profile, Engraved Wing Feather
Discovered by David DeRuiter, November 1979. Revised 2002, 2006.
35(revised) II 26 · B2w (Sextupled Left Stars, Doubled Profile, Engraved Wing Feather) (181) I-3 R-3
Obverse II 26– LIBERTY slightly doubled on left side. Doubled LIBERTY band edge, hair above forehead, forehead, nose, lips and chin. All left stars very slightly tripled to sextupled towards rim with 4-7 most prominent. Right stars faintly doubled towards rim. PLURIBUS UNUM doubled to sextupled at top of letters towards rim. Top of Phrygian cap and right wheat leaf doubled.
1. Note: Vam 35 and 55 share the same obverse die
2. The Reverse Die B2w was used for VAMs 35, 93, 19 (A,B) and 74 (A) I believe in that progression ~tbconcrete
3. Triangular die chip at back of jaw-neck junction adjacent hair curl.
4. Feather engraved between eagle's right wing and leg. R in TRUST is broken.
5. Later die states show die polishing. Fourth right star broken.
LVA Plate Photos:
Phrygian Cap Markers
Full Coin Photos
Large Full Coin Copyrighted© VAM-35 Images on loan to VAMworld courtesy ©[Heritage Auctions] ATTRIBUTED BY ANACS