1878-S VAM-18A "Spaghetti Wings" Die Gouges in Wings, Radial Die Break Star
Jason Henrichsen, 2011.
This is a Top 30 1878-S Die Variety.
18A (revised) II1 - B2e (Extra Engraved Wing Feathers, Break Right Star, Polished Dies) (184) I-4 R-5
Obverse II1 - Vertical polishing lines in fields.
Reverse B2e - Vertical polishing lines in fields.
1. Extraordinary die gouges within the Eagles' left and right wings from improper basining. Popular, and quite difficult to find.
2. The VAM-18 is very rare in Mint State with only 3 specimens in MS attributed by ANACS as of early 2010. It will be interesting to see how late a die state of the 18A shows up.
3. Close examination of the obverse reveals it is the same die as used for VAMs 72 and 59. It appears to be slightly later in the progression than VAM 59 as the obverse clashing is somewhat more polished away.
LVA Plate Photos:
- 1 Eagle's Left Wing Feathers:
- 2 Eagle's Right Wing Feathers:
Full Coin Photos
Full Coin Copyrighted© VAM-18A Images on Loan to VAMworld courtesy ©[Heritage Auctions] ATTRIBUTED BY
'Variety Slabbing Service is owned and operated by one of the leading attributors of the Mogan Dollars series, John Baumgart. We know him here as contributing 'to these pages under “Messydesk”. One click on his logo above takes you to his site.
2 Full Coin Copyrighted© VAM-18A images below on loan to VAMworld courtesy of and ATTRIBUTED BY Lance Newman OCC
1878-S VAM 18A Discovery piece is PCGS MS61.