1878-S VAM-15 Lines in Eagle, Engraved Wing Feather, Doubled LIBERTY Left
Discovered by Bill Fivaz, February 1974.
This coin is a Top 30 1878-S Variety.
15(revised) II 11 · B2n (Lines in Eagle, Engraved Wing Feather, Doubled Liberty Left) (184) I-2 R-4
Obverse II 11– LIBERTY slightly doubled left. P in PLURIBUS has bulge at top right outside. L & R slightly doubled on left side and bottom of B crossbar is thin. Die marker– Horizontal lines and raised dots in hair at jaw-neck junction.
Reverse B2n– Heavy die polishing lines in middle of both wings and two diagonal lines between eagle’s legs. Feather engraved between eagle’s right wing and leg. R in Trust partially broken.
1. Obverse II 11 also used with 1878-S VAM-14 and 1878-S VAM-44.
2. Reverse B2n also used with 1878-S VAM-80 and 1878-S VAM-89.
3. The VAM-15 has very interesting die gouges within the Eagles' left and right wings as well as the tail region.
4. VAM 15 is a diiferent obverse die than VAM 80! There are several differences as shown in the photos / Text below:
LVA Plate Photos:
1. Eagle's Left Wing Feathers
2. Eagle's Right Wing Feathers
3. Die polish gouges in the tail feather region
First, the B in PLURIBUS is an often overlooked hatchet job on 1878 II obverses. These two dies are no exception. The VAM 15 has an additional spur of metal inside the lower loop. Also the doubling on the surface of the B is quite different. This is important, because the stuff on the surface of these letters is quite protected on the die from being polished away. Behold:
Second, LIB in LIBERTY is full of polishing lines on the VAM 89, but not on the VAM 15. These polishing lines extend into Liberty's hair below the B. Also, the doubling is a little stronger on the VAM 15. Behold:
Third, the 4th right star is more complete on the VAM 15 than on the VAM 80. Behold:
Finally, there's some die damage in the hair behind the junction of the neck and jaw on the VAM 15, but not on the VAM 80.
Full Coin Photos
Full Coin Copyrighted© VAM-15 Images on loan to VAMworld courtesy ©[Heritage Auctions] ATTRIBUTED BY Mr. 78-S Tim Barry
Semi - PL ANACS (old ANA holder) MS 64