1902-O VAM-45 Doubled Profile & Reverse Lettering
Discovered by Marc Serafine, September 2001. Revised 2009 and many, many times after that.
Even though the listing officially for the obverse says the base of the 2 is filled in, this is not the case for all the dies. In fact, even the dies that come with a filled 2 have unfilled 2s in their EDS. The filled 2 should not be used for attribution purposes. Also, the listing for the reverse mentions "some specimens show polishing line bands thru STAT". This is a left-over from the V45.6 listing, which is no longer applicable since Die #6 was de-listed. The bands mentioned are a primary diagnostic for the V26.1.
45 (revised) III2 8 · C4l (Doubled Profile & Reverse Lettering) (181) I-2 R-4
Obverse III2 8– Slightly doubled nose, lips, chin and neck on Liberty head profile. Base of 2 filled in.
- Die 1 - Date at left edge of normal lateral position. Die marker - Polishing line at Phrygian cap top and fold junction.
- Die 2 - Date at left side of normal lateral position. Slight doubling of Liberty head profile at nose and jaw. Die marker - Diagonal polishing line in right foot of R in LIBERTY.
- Die 3 - Date in middle of normal lateral position. Die is the post-clashed and polished obverse die of the V45A. Die marker - Two horizontal polishing lines inside 0 and on left side of 2.
- Die 4 - Date in middle of normal lateral position. Die marker - Small raised dot between TY in LIBERTY.
- Die 5 - Date in middle of normal lateral position. Die marker - Long diagonal polishing line thru TY in LIBERTY.
- Die 6 - De-listed. Same as VAM-26.1
- Die 7 - Date at left edge of normal lateral position. Die Marker - U shaped faint thread-like impression at tip of top cotton leaf.
- Die 8 - De-listed. Same as VAM-45 Die #1.
- Die 9 - Pre-clashed version of the V45A. Die 3 is the post-clashed and polished verion of the obverse die of the V45A.
- Die 10 - Date in middle of normal lateral position. Die Marker - Die gouge in 2 lower opening.
- Die 11 - Date in middle of normal lateral position. Die Marker - Numerous polishing lines at forehead hair line.
- Die 12 - Date in middle of normal lateral position. Die Marker - Curved thread-like die impression at back of jaw-neck junction.
- Die 13 - Date in middle of normal lateral position. Die Marker -Short diagonal line in middle of nose bridge.
Reverse C4l– Slightly doubled UNITED STATES OF ER-C and upper right and left wreaths towards rim. In God We Trust doubled at top. III O mint mark set slightly high and tilted left. Some die states show polishing line bands thru STAT.
- Die 1 - III O mint mark slightly tilted to left. Occurs with Die 1 obverse. Die markers - Short vertical polishing lines at base of lower olive leaf in lower cluster and one below olive branch below talon end and fine horizontal line in left space next to eagle's leg. Late die state shows die gouges above top arrow feather and in left space next to eagle's right leg. Still later die state shows vertical die gouges in right space next to eagle's right leg and lowermost outer feather of eagle's right wing.
- Die 2 - III O mint mark set high with slight tilt to left. Die marker - Polishing line on left side of left space next to eagle's right leg.
- Die 3 - III O mint mark slightly tilted to left. Occurs with obverse Die 3. Die marker - Two long vertical die scratches in upper middle of eagle's left wing.
- Die 4 - III O mint mark set slightly high with slight tilt to left. Occurs with obverse Die 4. Die marker - Single horizontal polishing line in middle of lower tail feather.
- Die 5 - III O mint mark set high and tilted left. Occurs with obverse Die 5. Die marker - Vertical die scratch in middle of upper tail feathers.
- Die 6 - De-listed. Same as VAM-26.1.
- Die 7 - III O mint mark set slightly high. Occurs with obverse Die 7. Die Marker - Die scratch in denticles above TAT os STATES.
- Die 8 - De-Listed. Same as VAM-45 Die #1.
- Die 9 - III O mint mark tilted slightly to left and centered. This is the pre-clashed verion of the V45A, rotated 10 degrees CCW. Die Marker - Three short diagonal die scratches at right side of upper tail feathers.
- Die 10 - III O mint mark tilted slightly to right. Die Marker - Tiny traingular die chip at left side of opening to left of eagle's right leg.
- Die 11 - III O mint mark tilted slightly to right. Die Marker - Single vertical polishing line at right side of F in OF and between ER of AMERICA. Occurs with Die 11 obverse.
- Die 12 - III O mint mark in normal upright position. Die Markers - Die scratch right of wreath bow, two long polishing lines above OLL and long polishing line above right star. Occurs with Die 12 obverse.
- Die 13 - III O mint mark tilted left at normal vertical position. Die Marker - Horizontal polishing line at bottom left of top left wreath leaf cluster. Occurs with Die 13 obverse.
LVA Plate Photos
The four base attributes for the VAM-45 are a normal date placement, doubled profile, C4 reverse, and m/m set slightly high and tilted left.
This is one of the hardest, as reverse die markers change with die life. But the one constant is a small scratch in front of Liberty's eye. Be careful, this scratch also fades with die life. The photo below is from an example which has experienced some die wear. EDS examples show it much more clearly.
|Click to view at full resolution||Click to view at full resolution||Click to view at full resolution|
Two markers are presented, one for the obverse and reverse. This VAM-45.3 uses the post clash, polished obverse die from the VAM-45A. The reverse marker helps differentiate this die marriage from Die #9.
This die was de-listed once it was demonstrated to Leroy that it was a duplicate of VAM-26.1.
De-listed. Same as VAM-45 Die #1.
There is a die gouge inside the lower opening of the 2 in the date. Hard to tell if this is the beginning of a "filled" 2 break, or an actual gouge. Hard to pick up, but the reverse shows a die gouge in the upper part of eagles left wing.
Plate Photos of Primary Diagnostics of the VAM-45 Die #3.This seems to be the most available example, and the most picked by Vammers due to the clashing.
Date and Mintmark Position
Normal date placement.
Mint mark position, set slightly high, and tilted left.
View of Profile
Doubling of Liberty's neck.
Doubling of Liberty's Lips, Chin and Nose.
Doubling of Liberty's forehead.
Doubling at top of Liberty's cap.
Doubled Reverse Legend, Motto & Wreath
Doubled bottom of N in UNITED towards rim.
Doubled bottom of first S in STATES towards rim.
Doubled top cluster of leafs in right wreath towards rim.
Doubled top cluster of leafs in left wreath towards rim.
Doubling of tops of GO in GOD towards rim.
Doubling of top of W in WE in motto towards rim.
Notable Secondary Diagnostics
Die #9 scratch in front of Liberty's eye.
Not sure of the die state, but die crack at 1st left star-neck-1. Die crack is present on Die stage #3.
Die chips at 45 degrees to the upper right from the bottom cotton boll leaf of the top boll.
Die polishing or scratches vertical in Eagle's left wing.
Finally, there is a clashed version of the VAM-45 prior to the super clash of the VAM-45A. Note the 10 degree CCW rotation of the reverse for the clash marks.
Clashes behind Liberty's cap and capvee.
Wreath clashes at Liberty's lips.
Full Coin Photos
Full Coin Copyrighted© VAM-45 Die #1 Images on loan to VAMworld courtesy Andrew Wojtowich Silver Dye Photography. ATTRIBUTED BY Leroy Van Allen
Full Coin Copyrighted© VAM-45 Die #3 Images on loan to VAMworld courtesy ©[Heritage Auctions]ATTRIBUTED BY ANACS
Full Coin Copyrighted© VAM-45 Die #10 Images on loan to VAMworld courtesy ATTRIBUTED BY VAMWorld Community