1891-O VAM-1A3 Clashed Obverse D & O, Reverse BERT, Die Break Left Wreath
This coin is a Top 100 Morgan VAM.
1A3 III21 · C3a (Clashed Obverse D & O, Reverse BERT, Die Break Wreath) (181) I-5 R-7
Obverse III21– Strongly clashed die at top with partial incuse O of O mint mark from reverse showing above right wheat leaf. Part of incuse top of D of DOLLAR from reverse shows below I of PLURIBUS.
Reverse C3a– Final die state has a large raised verticle bar break on left side of profile line extending up to wreath leaf.
1. The raised dome from the VAM 1A2 stage has now ruptured forming a fairly large break along its left side.
2. The die markers on the reverse die. Radial break between the N and I in UNITED.
3. So the order in progression is:
- 1st VAM-1a1 Clash
- 2nd VAM-1a4 Clash Polishing and gouge
- 3rd VAM-1a2 Depression to Bump
- 4th VAM-1a3 Terminal break on Bump with non displaced radial break from UNITED
- VAM-1A1 Through 1A4
LVA Plate Photos:
Full Coin Photos
Large Full Coin of VAM-1A3 Photo and Attribution By 'TwoHawks'