1891-O VAM-1A1 Clashed Obverse D & O, Reverse BERT
Discovered September 1891, Robert Preston (unofficial)
This coin is a Top 100 Morgan VAM.
1A1(revised) III2 1 · C3a (Clashed Obverse D & O, Reverse BERT) (181) I-5 R-5
Obverse III2 1 – Strongly clashed die at top with partial incuse O of O mint mark from reverse showing above right wheat leaf. Part of incuse top of D of DOLLAR from reverse shows below I of PLURIBUS.
Reverse C3a – Strongly clashed die with full raised E below eagle’s tail feathers on left side and partial raised B at left of E, tip of R to right of E and raised bar of T in middle of tail feathers from obverse LIBERTY. Centered circular medium III O mint mark.
- Four die states of this die pair have been cataloged with the following progression:
- The final die state, VAM 1A3, has a large raised vertical bar break on left side of profile line extending up to wreath leaf.
- This VAM has a the strongest E clashed on the reverse of any Morgan dollar. In fact, the E on the reverse looks like it was actually part of the design it was so strong.
- This is a really cool variety well worth a substantial premium to own in AU. Mint state examples are exceptionally rare.
- Russ's Coin to LVA 2013 http://www.vamworld.wikispaces.com/share/view/65101022
- AdiosVW-II Thread
LVA Plate Photo
Full Coin Photos
Large Full Coin of VAM-1A1 Photo and Attribution by TwoHawks