1890-O VAM-10A Near Date with Bar, Die Gouge Rev. O
Discovered by Bill Van Note, July 2004.
This coin is a Hot 50 Morgan VAM
10A III26 · C3a (Near Date with Bar, Die Gouge Rev. O) (181) I-3 R-5
Obverse III26– Polished die with faint raised two bars to right of date. Ear slightly doubled at lower right inside from polishing.
Reverse C3a– Vertical die gouge above O in ONE.
1. This is a High O Reverse and Doubled inside left of O, even later die states show minor Rim Cuds @ k12 Obverse
2. The VAM-10 Comet gets its name from the comet tail-like die gouges on the obverse to the right of the date.
3. Some (and possibly all) specimens show the reverse die gouge which also appears on VAM-10A.
4. The VAM-10A is often attributed by TPG's as the VAM-10. Be sure you learn to distinguish the two or you could learn a costly lesson. The VAM-10A sells for considerably less than the VAM-10, with it's stronger die gouges.
5. The VAM-10A is the LDS of the VAM-10 and shows a heavily worn comet and reverse die gouge.