1880-P VAM-1A2 Broken Knob 8, Die Break Wreath Bow
Discovered by Jack Lee, October 2005
This coin is a Top 100 and a WOW! Morgan VAM.
1A2 III2 1 · C3a (Broken Knob 8, Die Break Wreath Bow) (179) I-4 R-6
Obverse III2 1 – Later die state shows first 8 with vertical die crack extending from denticles thru right side of 8, large die break knob at top right of 8 with crack continuing up into hair and neck.
Reverse C3a – Long horizontal rounded die break thru lower part of wreath bow extending left into leaf cluster and right thru top of leaf cluster to second from bottom right wreath leaf cluster. Possibly struck thru a wire during die hubbing operation. Short die break in middle of third leaf cluster from top of right wreath.
1. Nov 2011 Leroy states "We don't list 1A anymore- has been divided into 1A1 no break but die gouge wreath bow and 1A2 with break and gouge.
2. A pair of unconfirmed reports exist from reliable sources that the Knobbed 8 is also paired with a different reverse which does not have the wreath bow die break. " I have seen one of these coins and the obverse is different, " John Goldsmith. The 1A1 is the same obverse die as the knobbed 8, 1A1 is the early die state of the Knobbed 8, confirmed by Leroy in an email dated October 2011. So only two obverse dies were used with the Die Break Wreath Bow, but a second reverse is used with the Knobbed 8 obverse.
3. Do I have a VAM-1A or a VAM-39/a? Ask the Professor
1. Tinman's Progression http://www.vamworld.wikispaces.com/share/view/43091474
2. Squirrel's Topic http://www.vamworld.wikispaces.com/share/view/66467700
3. 80-P VAM-1A2 Die Break Progression