1880-O VAM-11 Dash Under 8, Doubled 188 & Wreaths
Discovered by Ted Clark, August 1971. Revised 2006
11(revised) III28 · C3p (Dash Under 8, Doubled 188 & Wreaths) (176) I-2 R-4
Obverse III28– Faint dash below right 8 with slightly doubled upper loop at lower left outside. Doubled 1 on top serif surface. Left 8 doubled on
surface of lower loop at bottom right.
Reverse C3p– Slightly doubled outside leaves on right wreath and some middle leaves of left wreath towards rim. Very slightly doubled OF AMERICA letters at bottom inside. Small I O mint mark at normal height.
1. VAM-11 and VAM-11A have different reverse dies, though not confirmed yet by Leroy Van Allen.
2. Under review v11 does not have this shared reverse . Mhomei
3. This reverse shared withVAM-6C, VAM-6D, VAM-11, VAM-11A, VAM-55, and VAM-68
4. Another thing to note about VAM 11 is that the dash under the 8 is quite strong on the early die state.
5. Two distinct marriages exist, the one pictured below, and the VAM 11A marriage without the obverse clashing. The strong reverse clash is naturally present as this was used earlier with VAM 6C.