How Long Have You Collected our Beloved Morgan Dollars ???

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
bob259

Re: How Long Have You Collected our Beloved Morgan Dollars ???

Post by bob259 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:49 pm

morganman wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:38 pm
It is sad and very concerning that younger age groups such as millenials etc
dont seen to be real interested in Numismatics, as evidenced by lack of shear
participation. They still collect but just not coinage to the larger degree of us
boomers and our forfathers.
This not likely to change due to our times and various other interest.
Part of the problem is that technology has ruined much of the collecting venues. New stamps, for example, are so well done that you don't find errors anymore and new sports cards don't hold any value. Usually what drives a collector, as well as interest, is, at some time in the future, they expect to get their money back and then some. New, non-silver coins, IMHO, are crap. I have no interest in anything new other than to spend them. Older coins such as our beloved silver dollars cost a lot so given the choice of a new cell phone or an old silver dollar the younger generations go for the cell phone. Yes, it is sad.

Here's another example of the younger generations attitude. Both on my wife's side and on mine, we have some beautiful sets of dishes and other glassware handed down for generations. We can't even give them to our kids as they don't want them and I have tried to sell some and nobody wants them. Truly Sad!

SilverToken

Post by SilverToken » Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:42 pm

But technology is still flawed and we probably will never see the eventual rarities of all coins. Morgans and Peace Dollars are wonderful, but nearly custom as we dial in the lost information of vams by all of your hard work. And electricity was put into the Mints when?

Collecting usually starts on what can be afforded and what can be found in the wild. Many collectors are not wealthy and are not as devoted as the Forum is. Family values were much better, as the previous replies have noted the starting, gifting and caring of their forefathers, and mothers. Wouldn't it be nice to go back there.

True collectors understand that there are investments, and there are consumables.

Who has closely looked at their pocket change lately? Yes it's circulated, but you may be amazed at the detail and imperfections....
Attachments
2021D .jpeg
2021D .jpeg (369.83 KiB) Viewed 302 times
When it's no longer fun, I think I'm done!

iwillbenice

Post by iwillbenice » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:10 pm

Lincoln Cents , Mercury dimes and Washinton quarters early 1970's.
Then a long lull from coin collecting.Started again 1999 to complete My Lincoln cents , Jefferson nickels , Roosevelt dimes , Washington quarters and Kennedy halfs.Then errors and variety coins 2000 - 2005.A VAM World site come along of interest
then my love of Morgans & Peace dollars are here to date.