1881-O December Update with Toned Coins

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
HawkeEye

1881-O December Update with Toned Coins

Post by HawkeEye » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:35 pm

I have just posted the December update for the 1881-O web site and hope there is a little something there for anyone interested. http://www.1881o.com/2021-12.html

I got into a batch of toned coins that have proven to be nice additions. One, an MS64+ VAM 27 Double Ear was an inexpensive addition and will prove to be the highest graded by PCGS once relabeled. This was just a good month for toned coins for some reason.

There is one coin, 81450121 that I could use some additional eyes on. I believe it to be either a VAM 32 or 72, but need some more study. I am being thrown by the pitting in front of the eyelash, so if anyone has an opinion let me know. The Trueview images are on PCGS so I won't try to upload them here.
eye.jpg
eye.jpg (50.31 KiB) Viewed 491 times

Planchet flaw, die rust, or what?

If you scroll down the page, you will see that I am now down to examining VAMs 1 and 1A in my die crack study. What I thought was going to be a slight diversion took three years, so getting through these last two will give me some rest for sure.

Next month I also plan to get back on the study of the Mint Supervisors and how they helped with the reopening of the Mint after the Civil War.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas.
Deep in the woods of North Georgia

HawkeEye

Re: 1881-O December Update with Toned Coins

Post by HawkeEye » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:22 pm

I got a letter off to Leroy late last week to get the benefit of his experience on VAMs 1 and 1A. I will post more on this today or tomorrow
Deep in the woods of North Georgia