1878 8TF VAM?

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
Woodsy
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:34 pm

Re: 1878 8TF VAM?

Post by Woodsy » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:35 pm

So I sorted out all of the 8TF I got. I thought I had 13 from my notes. Seems he had more that I didn’t see. So based on the first one it seems the best process is to begin by identifying reverse to narrow down VAM possibilities and go from there.
Attachments
3D5F0709-5D5F-4E0B-B8B5-C5E63872F0E8.jpeg
3D5F0709-5D5F-4E0B-B8B5-C5E63872F0E8.jpeg (345.33 KiB) Viewed 767 times

DHalladay
Posts: 2347
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: 1878 8TF VAM?

Post by DHalladay » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:45 pm

One thing I've discovered personally more than once is that just because the holder says 8TF or 7TF doesn't mean the holder is right... so take a close look to make sure.
Also, anything with PL surfaces demands extra careful attention, because all of the super rare 8TF VAMs seem to have been PL/DMPL when new.
When in doubt... don't.

Woodsy
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:34 pm

Re: 1878 8TF VAM?

Post by Woodsy » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:56 pm

DHalladay wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:45 pm
One thing I've discovered personally more than once is that just because the holder says 8TF or 7TF doesn't mean the holder is right... so take a close look to make sure.
Also, anything with PL surfaces demands extra careful attention, because all of the super rare 8TF VAMs seem to have been PL/DMPL when new.

Thank you. I’ve seen a couple that I would call PL and was thinking they should be looked at. I think some of them would upgrade. I’m just trying to systematically go through them all. I kind of got overwhelmed with this collection so I’m sure I’ll be a regular for the next few weeks.

Woodsy
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:34 pm

Re: 1878 8TF VAM?

Post by Woodsy » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:22 pm

So far as I sit here in meetings and double task, you can guess which one is getting more attention, I’ve found the following:

VAM 18 x4
VAM 14
VAM 14.3
VAM 16

DHalladay
Posts: 2347
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: 1878 8TF VAM?

Post by DHalladay » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:07 pm

Messy desk is way too modest.

Besides being head moderator here, he is also the current president of the Society of Silver Dollar Collectors, and is owner/operator of Variety Slabbing Service – a highly accurate and respected VAM attribution service whose attributions are even used by Heritage Auctions in its lot listings. VSS charges $6 per coin, versus $18 each at PCGS (plus $12 each for reholdering, plus $10 handling per order.)
When in doubt... don't.

Woodsy
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:34 pm

Re: 1878 8TF VAM?

Post by Woodsy » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:21 pm

DHalladay wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:07 pm
Messy desk is way too modest.

Besides being head moderator here, he is also the current president of the Society of Silver Dollar Collectors, and is owner/operator of Variety Slabbing Service – a highly accurate and respected VAM attribution service whose attributions are even used by Heritage Auctions in its lot listings. VSS charges $6 per coin, versus $18 each at PCGS (plus $12 each for reholdering, plus $10 handling per order.)
Well I have a pile started that I’m sure will find its way there. I just found 6 more 8TF in another box. I think I’m over 30 at this point. I can’t figure out where they came from. I catalogued his whole collection and priced it. He snuck some extras in somewhere. My notes show 13.

User avatar
messydesk
Site Admin
Posts: 2919
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 1:57 am

Re: 1878 8TF VAM?

Post by messydesk » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:16 pm

DHalladay wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:07 pm
Messy desk is way too modest.

Besides being head moderator here, he is also the current president of the Society of Silver Dollar Collectors, and is owner/operator of Variety Slabbing Service – a highly accurate and respected VAM attribution service whose attributions are even used by Heritage Auctions in its lot listings. VSS charges $6 per coin, versus $18 each at PCGS (plus $12 each for reholdering, plus $10 handling per order.)
To clarify, Ash is current president.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

DHalladay
Posts: 2347
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: 1878 8TF VAM?

Post by DHalladay » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:29 pm

Oops! :oops:
I forgot; time flies!
John is a revered past president.
When in doubt... don't.

Woodsy
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:34 pm

Re: 1878 8TF VAM?

Post by Woodsy » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:05 pm

DHalladay wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:29 pm
Oops! :oops:
I forgot; time flies!
John is a revered past president.
Oh well in that case I only trust someone currently in office….😂

User avatar
impairedsquirrel
Posts: 717
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 2:42 pm
Location: Happy Valley, USA

Re: 1878 8TF VAM?

Post by impairedsquirrel » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:31 am

Woodsy wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:05 pm
DHalladay wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:29 pm
Oops! :oops:
I forgot; time flies!
John is a revered past president.
Oh well in that case I only trust someone currently in office….😂
If it helps at all Ash is a revered past president as well... but he doesn't have an attribution service.
I go totally NUTS for WOW! VAMs!! Or is that from WOW! VAMs?

vamsterdam
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:48 am

Re: 1878 8TF VAM?

Post by vamsterdam » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:22 pm

That’s the problem of using this tiny screen on an iphone. Looked like 2 or 14.3

Post Reply