Interesting question on prooflikes in general

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
vamtiques

Interesting question on prooflikes in general

Post by vamtiques » Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:30 am

Now can a LDS of a particular Morgan vam/number/mintmark ever be prooflike/DMPL, or is it always EDS's that are prooflike? Or is it that a prooflike coin becomes less so with multiple coins struck on the same dies leading to an LDS stage?

Reason I ask is the 1904-O (another thread) could be prooflike on the reverse, but the coin is likely LDS, therefore not sure.

messydesk
Site Admin

Re: Interesting question on prooflikes in general

Post by messydesk » Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:38 am

Dies can be PL, even DMPL, and not EDS. Several VAMs are known to have repolished dies that were brought back to PL or DMPL. 78 VAM 33 comes to mind, some of the common CCs, some 80-S and 81-S.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

vamtiques

Post by vamtiques » Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:58 am

I find that to be very interesting messydesk :o.

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:03 pm

Yeah, proof-like or DMPL does not automatically equal EDS. I did an extensive study of the 78-CC years ago and have added to it since. Most of the marriages did not start off as DMPL. The stages with mirrors are more often found after polish jobs on mid and later states. Anecdotally from my observations, the non-EDS mirrors are nowhere nearly as durable as EDS PL or DMPL dies are. Said another way, the mirrors on new dies last much longer. I think it's part of the reason some dates are fairly common with PL and DMPL surfaces, while others like the 78-CC are rare in DMPL and scarce with PL surfaces.
often the crusher of hopes and dreams

impairedsquirrel

Post by impairedsquirrel » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:58 am

Occasionally you'll hear the phrase "virgin DMPL" used to describe the difference between a "new" PL and a re-polished PL.
I go totally NUTS for WOW! VAMs!! Or is that from WOW! VAMs?

RogerB

Post by RogerB » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:54 pm

Polishing that produces mirror-like fields lasts as long as it takes for the die to naturally deform and produce what we call "luster." Polishing and basining are repair actions for die faces and can be done at any part of the die life. The extent and aggressiveness of polishing determine if pre-repair defects remain visible. It also affects the clarity of design details, with excessive polishing (once or multiple times)possibly removing fine engraving lines and blurring boundaries.