Hypothetical question---- photo added

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
lured_in_again

Hypothetical question---- photo added

Post by lured_in_again » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:28 am

If you came across a seller's listing that had several of the same VAM but not listed as a VAM in listing, would think they had collected them by random? or possibly came from a roll? Chances of having several in lightly circulated condition ending up back together? Just looking for opinions.... I purchased a small group of 1921Ds a few years back that had 4 identical coins (same VAM) and assumed they were basically uncirculated due to being together as a group. Just wondering what others think??? Just pondering stuff as I begin isolation for 10 of next 12 days. My job remains essential, but the 2nd person usually on duty during day shift has to work from home.... Maybe that's what retirement looks like? Oh no!!!!!
Last edited by lured_in_again on Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DHalladay

Re: Hypothetical question

Post by DHalladay » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:44 am

Several years and many hundreds of BU coins in my 1921-P madness, I long ago abandoned the idea that a given roll would contain many examples of the same VAM. I think the most I have ever seen is 4. But the norm is roughly 2 examples of two or three VAMs and everything else is different. I think this speaks to the idea that coins from multiple coining presses went into a communal bulk bin, which later went into many bags and then many rolls.
When in doubt... don't.

RogerRock

Post by RogerRock » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:44 am

Identical VAMS offered by a seller which are unattributed and uncirculated would seem to have come out
of an original roll ! I have witnessed this before on clashed 1904 O Morgans VAM 35A. Identical VAMS in
random circulated grades from one seller points toward dispersal of a private collection. Of course, these
observations are based on my personal experiences of coin shows, internet purchases, local coin shops, private coin collection purchases, and local coin clubs.
Stage 3 TERMINAL DIE STATE SILVER DOLLAR EXPLORER

RogerB

Post by RogerB » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:51 pm

Long ago and far away, when Morgans came fresh from bags, it was common to find coins from only two die pairs in the same bag. This occurred normally because a mint usually had two presses working on dollars at the same time. Mint HQ allocated dollar manufacture between the mints for each month, so the Superintendents could easily calculate everything needed to fulfill production orders. It was most efficient to smooth the production chain over approximately 22 working days rather than trying to cram everything into the last week.

Rolls of 20 coins, taken from fresh bags, were thus likely to be evenly split between the two die pairs. I once bought 5 rolls of 1900-O coins. They were all BU and almost exactly split between normal and O/CC - I forget which varieties.

VamHelsing

Post by VamHelsing » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:05 pm

Once, also long, long ago I bought a collection that had 2 original rolls of 81-S Morgans.
All but 5 of them were V47s.

Longstrider

Post by Longstrider » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:13 pm

Is there still such a thing as BU rolls?? Just wondering. I recon if they have been socked away in some persons collection that is now being sold.🐍

raynat3

Post by raynat3 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:39 pm

I have regularly seen BU rolls in the past few years with just 2 varieties in the entire roll. I seldom see other than that unless I go to a show where there appears to be many put together rolls. I suppose it depends on who and where you do your buying from.

VamHelsing

Post by VamHelsing » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:29 pm

There's still bags, rarely....

bob259

Post by bob259 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:33 pm

About two years ago, I found a dealer on the bay who was selling a bunch of Morgans all graded but not attributed by ICG. I used to monitor this dealer because he knew nothing about VAMs. I bought 5 1882-0 VAM 32B all in high MS which is a nice VAM. The grading was accurate as they have been crossed over to new slabs. He would stagger his auctions so they closed at different days. The 5 I bought I got really cheap and then a few other VAM collectors saw what I saw and the price went way up so since I already had 5 I stopped buying at the price they were going for. I would say the dealer probably had put up about 15 or so of this VAM in a two week time period. He had sent them all to ICG, so where did they all come from? Rolls he bought?

I would have kept buying them if the price hadn't gone up so high but hey, I got 5 nice high MS ones on the cheap. I have bought other nice VAMs from the same dealer. He has nice coins but not a clue about VAMs. No, I'm not sharing who the dealer is.

impairedsquirrel

Post by impairedsquirrel » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:02 pm

I think your particular case is one in a million Jon... can you touch them yet?
I go totally NUTS for WOW! VAMs!! Or is that from WOW! VAMs?

Longstrider

Post by Longstrider » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:36 pm

@VamHelsing Hey thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I try to learn here.🐍

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:47 pm

There are such things as original BU rolls if you consider that they were originally transferred from bags to rolls on the 60s, which was also when roll collecting was popular. These typically have 2 different varieties in them.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

tbconcrete

Post by tbconcrete » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:18 pm

There was a run on 78S V17EDS coins in PCGS Holders that hit ebay a few years go. Many are registered in the SSDC. All have sequential numbers on the holders. I suspected that they all came from an old roll. But there is no rule of thumb for bags or rolls. JMHO

vamsterdam

Post by vamsterdam » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:05 am

I saw an original looking rolls of 1879s. they were all vam 017a. he had no idea of the vam but wanted way too much over bid for the roll.

lured_in_again

Post by lured_in_again » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:52 pm

Upon arrival, the coins were definitely circulated, but still an interesting group to find 3 of the same VAM offered in a 6 coin lot lot. And they will assist me in my future studies of the date (91o)My photo doesn't really do much for them...
jae_1891o_crack.jpg
jae_1891o_crack.jpg (137.62 KiB) Viewed 1358 times

DHalladay

Re: Hypothetical question---- photo added

Post by DHalladay » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:38 am

Looks like you made a nice/interesting purchase!
When in doubt... don't.

messydesk
Site Admin

Re: Hypothetical question---- photo added

Post by messydesk » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:16 am

ThrEE VAM 3A in one lot? Not bad at all! Totally uncharacteristic for a circulated lot to be like that.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.