Cleaning or Residue?

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
UncleGildy

Cleaning or Residue?

Post by UncleGildy » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:43 am

I'm hoping to get a little help with a "cleaned" Morgan here. It's a less common year with some interesting features that made me take a chance. I've run into a challenge taking photos of attributes to ask for VAMming advice on the board here.

The reverse looks to have some contaminants, residue or film that looks sort of like a splotchy, ugly toning. The seller said it was AU cleaned, but nothing else. The surface or film looks like a milky haze with a very slight yellow tinge, depending on lighting. When viewing at steeper angles, in strong or natural light, it looks more like toning or even rust-like. The effect is dramatic depending on lighting angle and the reflection in the splotchy areas. (The obverse looks good - no splotchy, but but lacking good luster).

Here's an area with and without the Dino Lite direct LED lighting, and with external lighting sources adjusted to highlight things. The reflection can be reduced, but not eliminated by adjusting the polarizer.
SplotchyQuestion_01a.jpg
SplotchyQuestion_01a.jpg (212.06 KiB) Viewed 2007 times
SplotchyQuestion_01b.jpg
SplotchyQuestion_01b.jpg (296.88 KiB) Viewed 2007 times
SplotchyQuestion_01c.jpg
SplotchyQuestion_01c.jpg (266.41 KiB) Viewed 2007 times
I probably should have asked for advice first, but... I poured sudsy ammonia on it, swished it around for a couple seconds and rinsed it in hot running water. No help. So I even dipped it in EZest quickly for a couple seconds followed by a hot rinse. Still nothing.

VamHelsing

Re: Cleaning or Residue?

Post by VamHelsing » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:10 am

If you tried E-Z-EST, ( which I use selectively) it's bonded in to the coin. IMO.

UncleGildy

Post by UncleGildy » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:20 am

Thanks for the help!

Yeah, I did for the first time ever. Wearing vinyl gloves, holding it by the edges, I dipped it in for 2 seconds and removed it quickly and held it under the faucet (hottest water I could handle) to rinse.

"Bonded into the coin" - bummer :(. I'm pretty sure it's a new variety and has some fun similarities to neighboring VAMs in the series. I wonder if Leroy will still consider it.

RogerRock

Post by RogerRock » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:21 am

My approach would be soaking in acetone for a week or two. If it turns out that the surface of the coin's
reverse has indeed been compromised , then there is very little that will change this "environmental damage".
Stage 3 TERMINAL DIE STATE SILVER DOLLAR EXPLORER

vamsterdam

Post by vamsterdam » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:23 pm

i'd let it soak in odorless mineral spirits, and check it after a few days. I've let large cents sit in mineral spirits for over a week and helped to get encrusted junk off without any damage.
I have seen this nasty stuff before. i just can't remember which one i used to get it off. mineral spirits , alcohol, and acetone are the most safe.

UncleGildy

Post by UncleGildy » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:03 pm

Thanks guys. Weeks ago I had let it soak in Acetone for a day, but maybe longer will make a difference. Mineral Spirits sounds scary for some reason. Acetone is almost universally accepted as harmless, but maybe a little harm is necessary here.

For some reason the source or cause of this "stuff" is driving me crazy. Even if there's no cure, I really need to find out what it is.

Geseas

Post by Geseas » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:49 pm

My guess is anything we can find in our environment could interact with a coin. Electricity, radiation, chemicals, including all mentioned; combined. Then throw in a bunch of stuff we don't even know about, making it all hard to pin down. Experimentation with minimal damage....great idea, imo. If only you could find a little hidden corner on the coin to run tests on....
I am afraid there are no hidden corners on coins with you folks around. Or is their?
Prespective change.... Maybe looking at Morgans as Silver rather than Vams? (I maybe way off here) You may have to change the site name here to Metallurgical World.

GC:sc