Tone removing help

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
ljs123

Tone removing help

Post by ljs123 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:24 am

I have a coin that is graded in a holder as MS-63. I'm trying to attribute the coin, but toning makes it very hard to see die markers of any kind. I am thinking of removing it from the holder to remove the toning.
Because it has been graded as MS, I am hoping to treat it without damaging the coin.

Any suggestions?
I seem to remember that there was some sort of cleaning liquid that was supposed to be very good at removing toning without hurting a coin.

Thank you :)

...kenny

Re: Tone removing help

Post by ...kenny » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:26 am

I've never used it, but MS 70 is what I've heard is good... :lol:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my.........Ah........Uhm........something, something, something..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

ljs123

Post by ljs123 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:31 am

...kenny wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:26 am
I've never used it, but MS 70 is what I've heard is good... :lol:
Thanks Kenny

...kenny

Post by ...kenny » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:39 am

Practice on duds before hitting the primo coin... :lol:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my.........Ah........Uhm........something, something, something..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

HawkeEye

Post by HawkeEye » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:08 am

If you have photoshop (or something like it) use it to drop the color out of the coin image. You can try a lot of tricks, but something should let you do it without actually altering the coin. Then you can have it both ways.

This is one I dropped the color out of http://www.1881o.com/84236046_61_toned.html
and as you can see the color was really heavy.

if you don't have photoshop but do have a high res image send it to me and I will try to drop it out for you.
Deep in the woods of North Georgia

Shyatt01

Post by Shyatt01 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:14 am

I've used Koinsolv.

I've had both the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat when breaking out toned coins and dipping them.

I've gone up from MS 62 and 63 to MS65 on some relatively expensive Silver Dollars. (That would be the thrill of victory).

And I had a 1883-S in a PCGS Holder at MS63. It had really ugly, dark toning, and I was sure it was going to dip out really nice. After i dipped it, it was clearly an AU 55 - 58. The toning had hidden the circulation wear. Ouch. (That would be the agony of defeat).

CascadeChris

Post by CascadeChris » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:20 am

If it's a common date and you're sure it's not s premium VAM, this is a good coin to begin with. You will mess up eventually, you will lose money. It happens. But just consider it paying for your education in conservation..
Alonzi VW 2.0!

ljs123

Post by ljs123 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:57 am

HawkeEye wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:08 am
If you have photoshop (or something like it) use it to drop the color out of the coin image. You can try a lot of tricks, but something should let you do it without actually altering the coin. Then you can have it both ways.

This is one I dropped the color out of http://www.1881o.com/84236046_61_toned.html
and as you can see the color was really heavy.

if you don't have photoshop but do have a high res image send it to me and I will try to drop it out for you.

Wow HawkeEye. You are really good with the digital manipulation. :lol:
It makes me laugh because I'm just a simple Jarhead. I'm really happy when I can take any photo that shows all of VW what I can see with the coin in hand. Of all the electronically gifted people on this site, I'm not one. :)
But really, thank you for your advise and offer of help.

And I would like to thank everyone else for your help. I have a few toned junk coins around that I can try on.
If it works well, I might try it on my low grade 1880 VAM-8.

HawkeEye

Post by HawkeEye » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:51 pm

Most toned coins bring a premium these days unless it is so far gone that the toning has become blackened. If possible save the toning and get to the VAM a different way is my advice to all.

VamHelsing

Post by VamHelsing » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:50 pm

I use EZ-E-EST JeweLuster and MS70. Carefully.... If you dip a coin, only do it for a few seconds at a time or
you will eat the skin right off the coin.

vamsterdam

Post by vamsterdam » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:50 pm

And the darker the toning, the more the damage to the surfaces will show after you dip it. My friend ron dipped a 1943s ddo 25 graded anacs65. It started developing large charcoal spots(the old white holders were not exactly air tight), and he called me to say he was going to crack it out and dip it. I strongly warned him not to but he went ahead and it came back au55. It had no wear but the charcoal spots became chacoal pits. Big ones, like big enough to cook an entire cow! Anyway, he ruined the coin and tried to blame ANACS for not being able to grade. He sent it back again and it came back ms61. He’s lucky he got that.

HawkeEye

Post by HawkeEye » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:01 pm

I still go for electronics and not dipping. Dipping is too risky and in the end can often be detected. Dropping out the color electronically is relatively easy.

CascadeChris

Post by CascadeChris » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:16 pm

HawkeEye wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:01 pm
I still go for electronics and not dipping. Dipping is too risky and in the end can often be detected. Dropping out the color electronically is relatively easy.
Electronically??
Alonzi VW 2.0!

ljs123

Post by ljs123 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:01 am

Chris,
:lol:
I didn’t realize I wrote that.
But please read the key phrase higher up in the post.
I’m just a simple Jarhead.
:lol:

HawkeEye

Post by HawkeEye » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:54 pm

CascadeChris wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:16 pm
HawkeEye wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:01 pm
Electronically??
Sure, just take a high quality image and convert it to a greyscale image. Then adjust the brightness and/or contract until the underlying image reveals itself. This seems to work 90% of the time and the coin is never touched. Since toned coins often sell for a premium you are preserving that value.

There is another benefit and that is grade. I have electronically removed color from a few coins to discover that PCGS probably graded them a little high. Since graders seem to hate toning it is difficult for me to think they gave the coin style points, just missed the grade a little to my benefit.

This can also help buying decisions. This coin is on eBay now and is a PCGS MS64.
s-l1600.png
s-l1600.png (803.85 KiB) Viewed 86 times
It is very easy to download it, drop the color out and check the grade for yourself. it took longer to write this than to make this image.