morganman

Beware USPS shipping

Post by morganman » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:33 am

In yrs past i send anything over $500 value registered & declaring value

Registered provides more security as package goes into safe at each stop

Heres the problems nowadays!!!- Still takes much longer to arrive 7-12 days
The usps receipt provides a tracking number but it does not work,
and is useless- Postmaster says they did this to be more secure,
and agrees it needs to be handled differently.
So buyer & seller have no way of knowing about shipment until
it arrives at destination.

I will now ship Priority Flat Rate Box/Insured
Cheaper and super fast just like 1st class insured,but more secure
TRACKING WORKS LIKE A CHARM

Terrible to pay big money to ship & get screwed in process
Im pissed and burned out on coins, but to many to liquidate
Between a lousy mkt, High priced TPG & USPS, ITS ALL QUITE
FRUSTRATING IMHO

Guess i just need to go vacation in good weather LOL
:|

jrfaust

Re: Beware USPS shipping

Post by jrfaust » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:52 pm

I couldn't agree more! I've been using flat rate small box for the past several years.....I use that sh*t on everything :lol: to ANACS, PCGS, Leroy etc. gets there in 2 days, ya get notifications every time it moves and to final destination, can beat the price either :D
Who is John Galt?

HawkeEye

Post by HawkeEye » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:23 pm

With normal packages (under say $3000) I started using Priority Mail. You can buy insurance but pretty pricy. If I have something more like $5000 then I started sending it Priority Express (I think it is called) with insurance. I believe the insurance limit is $5000 but would have to check. Supposedly this is overnight and has tracking. My logic is that I want to know tomorrow if it got there and if not I want to start looking. I would say the typical cost is $125 and that is tough, but I sleep better.

Several years ago I had some registered boxes tampered with and decided it was really not much more secure than Priority Mail. With Priority Mail you are self insuring somewhat but I think the speed outweighs the Registered Mail protections. So far (knock on wood) I have not had a package diverted. I have only had one that did not make the overnight delivery and it missed by about twelve hours and I got a refund.

I am also iffy on the insurance and are you calling attention to the package. Rarely do I send a package worth more than $5000, but it does happen. If I buy $20000 in insurance and send it Registered Mail am I making the package more susceptible to tampering by calling attention to the value? Plus with Registered it takes forever and seems to go in this black hole for about a week and is difficult to track.

Nothing is perfect in this corner of collecting!
Deep in the woods of North Georgia

CascadeChris

Post by CascadeChris » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:33 pm

Registered is the only way to go over around $1500 for me as the that is generally the threshold where insurance over 1500 going priority starts getting more expensive than the $30 +/- it costs for registered insured. Yes, the tracking sucks but that's by design and who cares. The postal inspectors take a missing or damaged Registered very seriously. Its someone's job if they were the last to have custody. But, to each their own I guess. The Hawk is nuts imo but if it makes him sleep better and he's willing to pay up for that perception more power to him. #America 🇺🇸
Alonzi VW 2.0!

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:10 pm

If you ship a lot, it makes sense to insure through a third party, either a la carte, or with an insurance policy. Premiums, coverage, and deductibles will vary, but you avoid drawing attention to package having any value, since there's no insurance sticker or high postage on the package. The other thing about the insurance policy I have is that they cover Registered Mail and Express Mail the same, as long as you have a signature on the Express Mail. Another interesting thing to know is that for FedEx shipments that will be in transit over a weekend or holiday, they double the deductible and halve the coverage. Whereas we use anecdotal experiences to say what's best to use, the insurance company uses actuaries.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:14 pm

HawkeEye wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:23 pm
f I buy $20000 in insurance and send it Registered Mail am I making the package more susceptible to tampering by calling attention to the value?
Tampering with a Registered package will result in jail time. There are much lower-risk targets going through the USPS.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

morganman

Post by morganman » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:54 pm

Thanks Guys; For replys to this USPS post
:|

alefzero

Post by alefzero » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:11 pm

USPS Registered is the way to go for higher value and rare coins. It does get pricey at higher insurance rates. I had one deal that was beyond the Registered Mail insurance upper limit. For that, I was prepared to get a Southwest roundtrip ticket and hand deliver. The buyer backed out in that case, but it remains my go-to alternative for seriously expensive ultrarare coins.

HawkeEye

Post by HawkeEye » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:30 pm

messydesk wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:14 pm
HawkeEye wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:23 pm
f I buy $20000 in insurance and send it Registered Mail am I making the package more susceptible to tampering by calling attention to the value?
Tampering with a Registered package will result in jail time. There are much lower-risk targets going through the USPS.
I agree, but I think this falls in the category of low dollar, non-violent crime and getting anyone's attention is tough.
Deep in the woods of North Georgia