Help Attributing a B1 Reverse 1922 Peace - New Type?

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
HawaiiLight

Help Attributing a B1 Reverse 1922 Peace - New Type?

Post by HawaiiLight » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:10 am

Been lurking, and enjoying identifying the many VAMs in my grandfather's inherited collection! Finally found something that I can't identify. Are there simply not enough features here to be listed?

OBVERSE: Horizontal die scratch through T of TRV, doubling in rays and letters B & E of LIBERTY

REVERSE: Dot in field below eagle's jaw (different than dot on neck of of VAM 1L)

Let me know what you think, I value and appreciate all input :)

Link to relevant VAMWorld page:
http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.compu ... 922-P_VAMs

front.jpg
front.jpg (429 KiB) Viewed 154 times
backj.jpg
backj.jpg (419.46 KiB) Viewed 154 times
Die Crack through T of TRV.png
Die Crack through T of TRV.png (1.33 MiB) Viewed 154 times
Doubled B, E and Rays.png
Doubled B, E and Rays.png (1.05 MiB) Viewed 154 times
Dot below Eagle's Jaw.png
Dot below Eagle's Jaw.png (1.37 MiB) Viewed 154 times

jrfaust

Re: Help Attributing a B1 Reverse 1922 Peace - New Type?

Post by jrfaust » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:01 pm

Welcome to VAMWORLD! Ok, I believe the doubling your seeing is machine doubling and not actually doubling of the die, also the die scratch looks more like a fine crack that would be to light to list. I believe the dot/chip under eagles jaw would also be to small to list, I could be wrong.
Keep looking and asking, you'll learn a lot from these guys :D
Have a look at the home page, scroll down a bit and you will find lots of really good info on attributing....and a lot of other cool stuff as well! Good luck and have fun! :D

Jody
Who is John Galt?

HawaiiLight

Post by HawaiiLight » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:34 pm

Thanks Jody! I'm new to this, and have a few stacks of Whitman folders to go through...so you'll likely be hearing from me again. Hopefully I'll sponge up enough of this stuff to be useful in paying it forward to somebody else in the future!

Anyway, thanks for your response. I realized after reading more deeply into the submission process here, that there really must be some major naked-eye flaw to be listable, and that even several small items don't add up to type. :lol:

RogerB

Post by RogerB » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:54 am

The coin shown in the OP's photos was made from the first pair of low relief hubs made in 1922. These were soon modified by George Morgan with the most obvious alteration being closure of the gap between the base of the olive branch and the eagle (2nd hubs). Also, many dies from the 1st reverse hub were retouched by adding a small line segment in the same position. These can be found for all three mints in 1922.

Additional adjustments were made to the master dies for 1923,