VAMWORLD 2.O Headliner Name

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
morganman

VAMWORLD 2.O Headliner Name

Post by morganman » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:21 am

Just in my Brain!!!!!!! I am always thinking/rolling ideas in my head LOL

Recently wondering if VAMWORLD 2.0 as our Headliner is catchy enough/ descriptive friendly
to help develop ample interest for newbies and alike moving forward in future.
I realize a lot of thought went into VW 2.0 but it seems lacking something, so wondering if others
here feel same way or leave it all alone??/ Just a thread for forward thought

We members know what VW 2.0 is but outside membership has no clue IMHO
If a marketing guru was involved i venture to say-- We might benefit from some help IMHO
Not to take away from whomever decided on VW 2.0 - Stirring the pot here/trying to help!!!!!!
:|

TheYokel

Re: VAMWORLD 2.O Headliner Name

Post by TheYokel » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:56 am

Facebook collector groups. "Free" advertising.

We can pick a VAM to give away and collect donations to "buy" it from the member willing to give it up at market value. If we buy a cheap-a$$ Top 100 off eBay for $40 and all of us chip is one single dollar ($1 usd) we could hold a give-away in multiple FaceBook groups with a combined 40,000+ membership number.

Make registering for the forum the only requirement to enter for the give-away. If we even have a 2% retention rate, our numbers would exponentially increase.

Lemme know if it sounds interesting... I'd be willing to contribute to new membership by buying the first VAM give-awag myself.

Marketing ain't hard (*yokel accent*)...
"There is no E"...

Top 100: 27 -- Hot 50: 6 -- Top 50: 4 -- Elite 30: 2 -- K12: 2

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:17 am

VAMWorld has become a bit of a brand name, and is well-recognized even outside the VAM-collecting base.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

Raybob15239

Post by Raybob15239 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:08 am

I agree with John. VAMWorld is a well known brand. I wouldn't tinker with it.

If you are suggesting some sort of tag line, that may make sense. Something to say that it is the preeminent site for Morgan and Peace silver dollar collectors on the world wide web. That could help with Google and other search engines bringing up VW in search results.

Setting up a Facebook group page may seem initially as a good idea, but keeping it monitored and active is a lot of work. The site gets alot of mentions on other forums and that works well to drive some traffic to the site.

I don't care for the coin giveaway idea, though. How do you ensure that it goes to a non-VAM collector? How will that create more interest?

I think that we probably have a lot of lurkers who use the site and follow the forums, but who are not registered and do not actively participate. Hell, we have a lot of registered users who do not participate! I lurked for a while before I registered and didn't participate very much until I was already hooked. Maybe one way to get more interest is to make a regular post in some other big forums, like Collectors Universe, etc. announcing the VAM of the week with a link to the page? But who would do this? And would those forums tolerate a blatant attempt to drive traffic to VW potentially at their expense?
I swear, someday I will learn how to grade Peace Dollars!

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:20 pm

Raybob15239 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:08 am
I agree with John. VAMWorld is a well known brand. I wouldn't tinker with it.

If you are suggesting some sort of tag line, that may make sense. Something to say that it is the preeminent site for Morgan and Peace silver dollar collectors on the world wide web. That could help with Google and other search engines bringing up VW in search results.
I could go along with this, even having a tagline contest.
Setting up a Facebook group page may seem initially as a good idea, but keeping it monitored and active is a lot of work. The site gets alot of mentions on other forums and that works well to drive some traffic to the site.
Agree here, also. More venues may mean more reach to the casual observer, but we want to drive all VAM discussion traffic here in the end, and not fragment people's attention across different sites.
I don't care for the coin giveaway idea, though. How do you ensure that it goes to a non-VAM collector? How will that create more interest?
We did this at the FUN show a couple years ago. Some donated coins were holdered by ANACS in commemorative, promotional holders, I labeled them with an attribution, and people entered drawings that were done a few times per day, giving us contact info in exchange for an entry. While everyone was appreciative that won, many of the coins were flipped during or shortly after the show.
I think that we probably have a lot of lurkers who use the site and follow the forums, but who are not registered and do not actively participate. Hell, we have a lot of registered users who do not participate! I lurked for a while before I registered and didn't participate very much until I was already hooked. Maybe one way to get more interest is to make a regular post in some other big forums, like Collectors Universe, etc. announcing the VAM of the week with a link to the page? But who would do this? And would those forums tolerate a blatant attempt to drive traffic to VW potentially at their expense?
I think the better, less obvious approach, is to be a well-rounded collector and participate in other forums. The two I am active in are the PCGS forum and CoinTalk. People on both know that I'm one of the go-to people for VAM questions, even though my participation is more broad in scope. Coming across as being part of the mainstream helps educate people that VAM collectors aren't an isolated kook fringe group. While others may not become interested in VAM collecting, they can grow to appreciate what we do.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

morganman

Post by morganman » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:52 pm

JB: My intention here was to get ideas/feedback from our members on how to promote VW
I would not favor changing The VAMWORLD name- I know advertizing is tough & must be
carefully chosen.

Coin give aways usually dont achieve their objective- but raffles do get attention and many
times bring excess $$$$$ that could go the SSDC WAY?????
Thanks to all who responded
:|

TheYokel

Post by TheYokel » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:54 pm

This is the day and age of instant gratification. If you want an influx of newer younger collectors, you have to cater to their outlooks. Facebook and Instagram are prefect examples of this. Plenty of collectors never leave those social media platforms simply because of the ease of contact. It takes them 20 seconds to post their picture or question and get 5,000 eyes on it instantly for feedback. Forum participation is down across all platforms... Not through any fault of content normally, just from the multitude of new avenues for one-shot answers at instant speed...

Another idea would be to ask ANACS about a short-run specialty VamWorld label that we could buy/use.

We could send in a huge mass-submission that included 50-100 coins specifically to be sold/auctioned off into the wild to new collectors, and the label would have the forum name on it.

Think of the free advertising if we could get coins auctioned on HA with ANACS Top 100 slabs that had "VamWorld Collection 2019" on the label...
"There is no E"...

Longstrider

Post by Longstrider » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:21 pm

When look at the Who's online stats at the bottom of the page, there are usually more guest than members. I also think we are pretty well known as is. Nothing wrong with bouncing ideas around though. Thanks

TheYokel

Post by TheYokel » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:33 pm

Longstrider wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:21 pm
When look at the Who's online stats at the bottom of the page, there are usually more guest than members. I also think we are pretty well known as is. Nothing wrong with bouncing ideas around though. Thanks
I'd bet a large number of those guests are registered members that just aren't signed in to their accounts... Site admin would have to look at traffic analytics to see how many unique guests vs returning ip's click-through on a daily basis. Also how many of those are single page views (someone clicking a single google link and leaving immediately) vs multiple page clicks...
"There is no E"...

Longstrider

Post by Longstrider » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:43 pm

You may be right. Thanks.

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:51 pm

'Abandon hope all ye who enter'

BTW, nothing will drive traffic to the site as much as actually being worthwhile and having relevant content.
often the crusher of hopes and dreams

dave700x

Post by dave700x » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:39 pm

I kind of like "Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated" :lol:
1883-O nut