1879 CC Unique?

Ask about what your VAMs are worth here
Post Reply
ShamShield
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:53 am

1879 CC Unique?

Post by ShamShield » Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:50 am

I recently acquired an 1879 CC and it has some oddities that I'm not sure of. Is this a Kimpton 12 or some other VAM? What would it be worth? Photos attached. Looks like a clah under the chin (magnified). Thanks for looking!
Attachments
16490907217953281397643359137737.thumb.jpg.d01b850dbd99a64f2e5ce819f54ba934.jpg
16490907217953281397643359137737.thumb.jpg.d01b850dbd99a64f2e5ce819f54ba934.jpg (56.21 KiB) Viewed 873 times
16490905077241469567173736100055.thumb.jpg.2321dc4272ed8acff8076d651c0562b9.jpg
16490905077241469567173736100055.thumb.jpg.2321dc4272ed8acff8076d651c0562b9.jpg (29.45 KiB) Viewed 873 times
16490904864008315952454609391858.thumb.jpg.5cdea8868bcb3283b870cebf248c94ed.jpg
16490904864008315952454609391858.thumb.jpg.5cdea8868bcb3283b870cebf248c94ed.jpg (48.75 KiB) Viewed 873 times
16490904495985775803263267235860.thumb.jpg.3b5edde7c051c3ee91bc315b22b498d7.jpg
16490904495985775803263267235860.thumb.jpg.3b5edde7c051c3ee91bc315b22b498d7.jpg (53.22 KiB) Viewed 873 times

morganman
Posts: 691
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:02 am

Re: 1879 CC Unique?

Post by morganman » Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:03 pm

Pictures vaque but definately a Clashed VARIETY, the low grade probally brings
no to little premium. With that said Numismedia.com shows a fine12 retail $330
which would wholesale about $260 if not cleaned & about 1/2 that cleaned/details
A very fine 20 (vf20) shows $540 Yours looks probally Fine & maybe cleaned ?

Those price values are retail for a PCGS or NGC graded/slab so raw is worth less
Whsle is roughly 20% less than retail pricing

Hope that helps and is a guide
:|

User avatar
ljs123
Posts: 1625
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:16 pm

Re: 1879 CC Unique?

Post by ljs123 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:03 pm

I do think that it is likely a VAM-2A.
Due to conditions, it may be hard to see good VAM details.

As far as value, it looks low grade and harshly cleaned. That really hurts the value. But at least it is a 79-CC.

User avatar
ljs123
Posts: 1625
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:16 pm

Re: 1879 CC Unique?

Post by ljs123 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:58 pm

@ShamShield

First, I didn't mean to say VAM-2A in my last message, but VAM-2B.

Second, I looked closer at your photos and no longer think it is just a 2B. It is hard with the condition of your coin and the photos, but I think this is an "in between" coin that is already being looked into.

I have been watching the VAM-2Bs and VAM-7s for awhile. It is my theory that they are the same die pair. If I am correct, your coin (if in Mint condition) would still have the G clash of the VAM-2B, but it also has the die chip on the jaw like VAM-7.
The problem with proving this is that high grade 79-CCs cost a lot. I have been following auctions (when I have time) trying to get copies of high grade examples that show the progression. But right now the cost of 79-CCs have gone even higher, and auctions prices on the coins that I wanted went well over Graysheet.

I have already reached out to JR @vampicker , and JB @messydesk about this.

colwillys
Posts: 1128
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:39 pm

Re: 1879 CC Unique?

Post by colwillys » Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:00 pm

How about LDS VAM 7 . The little things .

User avatar
ljs123
Posts: 1625
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:16 pm

Re: 1879 CC Unique?

Post by ljs123 » Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:17 pm

colwillys wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:00 pm
How about LDS VAM 7 . The little things .

Tom,
My opinion is that it is not a LDS VAM-7. I’ve been following these for awhile.
As the VAM-7 die progresses, the clashing becomes less noticeable than this coin and a die chip develops in the lower part of the G in God.
Also, the EDS “in between” coin that I mentioned with features of both the VAM-2B and 7 has a reverse die chip at the top of the G in God(like this coin).

colwillys
Posts: 1128
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:39 pm

Re: 1879 CC Unique?

Post by colwillys » Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:12 pm

Thank-You Lee ..

ShamShield
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:53 am

Re: 1879 CC Unique?

Post by ShamShield » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:18 pm

Is there a point on the coin you would like me to try and get a clearer picture of to help with your research?
ljs123 wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:58 pm
@ShamShield

First, I didn't mean to say VAM-2A in my last message, but VAM-2B.

Second, I looked closer at your photos and no longer think it is just a 2B. It is hard with the condition of your coin and the photos, but I think this is an "in between" coin that is already being looked into.

I have been watching the VAM-2Bs and VAM-7s for awhile. It is my theory that they are the same die pair. If I am correct, your coin (if in Mint condition) would still have the G clash of the VAM-2B, but it also has the die chip on the jaw like VAM-7.
The problem with proving this is that high grade 79-CCs cost a lot. I have been following auctions (when I have time) trying to get copies of high grade examples that show the progression. But right now the cost of 79-CCs have gone even higher, and auctions prices on the coins that I wanted went well over Graysheet.

I have already reached out to JR @vampicker , and JB @messydesk about this.

User avatar
ljs123
Posts: 1625
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:16 pm

Re: 1879 CC Unique?

Post by ljs123 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:39 pm

ShamShield wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:18 pm
Is there a point on the coin you would like me to try and get a clearer picture of to help with your research?
ljs123 wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:58 pm
@ShamShield

First, I didn't mean to say VAM-2A in my last message, but VAM-2B.

Second, I looked closer at your photos and no longer think it is just a 2B. It is hard with the condition of your coin and the photos, but I think this is an "in between" coin that is already being looked into.

I have been watching the VAM-2Bs and VAM-7s for awhile. It is my theory that they are the same die pair. If I am correct, your coin (if in Mint condition) would still have the G clash of the VAM-2B, but it also has the die chip on the jaw like VAM-7.
The problem with proving this is that high grade 79-CCs cost a lot. I have been following auctions (when I have time) trying to get copies of high grade examples that show the progression. But right now the cost of 79-CCs have gone even higher, and auctions prices on the coins that I wanted went well over Graysheet.

I have already reached out to JR @vampicker , and JB @messydesk about this.
@ShamShield
Thank you for your offer of photos. I don't think I need any at this point. I have photos of several coins already.
However; I have misplaced photos of the best coin example that I have found so far.
I will post a photo of why I think that VAM-2 and 7 are related. This is not the highest grade example I have. This example clearly shows the obverse die chips that the VAM-2A/B are listed for along with the VAM-7 die chip at the jaw.
So I ask everyone here, do you think VAM-2 and VAM-7 are related?
Attachments
79ccVAM-2B.7obvAU53.jpg
79ccVAM-2B.7obvAU53.jpg (247.92 KiB) Viewed 610 times

Post Reply