Proposed New VAM Page Listing Format. Vote in the poll below.

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers

Do you like the new proposed VAM Page Listing format?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:22 pm

1. Yes.
14
64%
2. Yes, but with some additional changes.
8
36%
3. No.
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 22

User avatar
CascadeChris
Posts: 2484
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 10:41 pm

Re: Proposed New VAM Page Listing Format. Vote in the poll below.

Post by CascadeChris » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:07 pm

messydesk wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:21 pm
CascadeChris wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:38 pm
JB, a *general* "list icon," might help imo. When I first started, and still today to some extent when going though a bulk lot I bought for flipping etc, i sometimes only check the coin against the "list" VAMs when going down the date/mm list to try to quickly discern a possible premium coin when I have a hundred to go through.. an Icon at left side indicating that this VAM is on a list would help tremendously. It also could allow us to kill the in-line notation of the specific list(s) the VAM is on as with a general icon indicating it's a "list" coin of some sort the specific list(s) can be seen when you click on the listing instead of being included in the title. Just a thought.
How about this approach: test 88-O page? The parenthetic text is removed from the listings, improving legibility, and a list name is displayed to the right as a link in a more tabular format making it easy to spot. Easy to see, preserves the link functionality, doesn't require displaying or explaining additional icons.
Perfect!
Alonzi VW 2.0!

User avatar
CascadeChris
Posts: 2484
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 10:41 pm

Re: Proposed New VAM Page Listing Format. Vote in the poll below.

Post by CascadeChris » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:12 pm

PacificWR wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:27 pm
The Top 100, Hot 50 and Hit List 40 list were created years ago and are rarely updated. Since then, some really outstanding VAMs have been discovered and are currently being ignored (sorry Rob but, even the WOW list left some off). That is why the 1886-O VAM-19A (there are many more examples in other series) was added. The Key VAMs box was created to correct this and inform new user’s and seasoned vammer’s . Every series will be different. The box option displays all the information without requiring an additional click or reprogramming of current individual VAM list (less work). The information is all up front and easy to see (geared to the new user). If all the list were updated on a regularly basis then this would be a moot point.

I changed the title on the "Key VAMs" box to "Top Collectable VAMs".
Maybe for ones like those, I'll use the 1898o v20 as an example, where JB puts the "list" links we add a non-hyper linked annotation something like this..

**High Interest

Or

**High Interest, Non-List VAM

...Or we can hyperlink them if someone wants to create specific pages for each that just have a little paragraph telling why the interest is so high with them.. ??
Last edited by CascadeChris on Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alonzi VW 2.0!

User avatar
vampicker
Posts: 1178
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:48 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Proposed New VAM Page Listing Format. Vote in the poll below.

Post by vampicker » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:16 pm

I'll chime in with a note of caution. While it's clearly not the intent here, the potential for abuse and manipulation of a 'key' or any other similar highlighting is very real. As an example, imagine you're a collector with a ton of 78-CC's and you've acquired multiple examples of the same variety that's kinda cool and could be perceived as rare - like mint state VAM 13. In an open sourced venue like this, a member could try to generate demand right before they offer their pieces for sale. Conversely, let's say the same collector has been hunting for a mint state example of something like, let's say VAM 24 or 24A. The day comes when one is for sale, and it suddenly disappears from the list of 'key' stuff.
I'm not opposed to 'lists' - I do one myself every year. I'm just urging caution. Perhaps this should not be an open sourced field.
often the crusher of hopes and dreams

Mhomei
Posts: 530
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 7:23 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Proposed New VAM Page Listing Format. Vote in the poll below.

Post by Mhomei » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:36 pm

#1 JA Uplated the population " list " coins every year
Solution
Assign a board member of SSDC that task.

#2 The official list of every year and MM should be only as LVA LISTED THEM
SOLUTION
Assign a member or a board member this task to be perform and checked for accuracy.

#3 Supplement info should be added yearly as the info comes out.
Solution
Assign this task to a member or a board member.

#4 the top of variety pages should contain official description only and kept small enough that the plates are visibe
Upon opening the page. The exception would be varieties that are complex multiple dies and shared versions.

#5 LVA PLATES are best viewed between 400 and 600 so when uploaded to the site
Larger than that in most instances.
Solution
Assign a member or board this task to be performed throughout the year.

Good luck and keep up the good work. Remember keep things simple so others can help with lesser skills.

User avatar
hairfield1
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 4:34 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Proposed New VAM Page Listing Format. Vote in the poll below.

Post by hairfield1 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:46 pm

You tell'em Mitch, I studder

User avatar
PacificWR
Posts: 1377
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 12:17 pm
Location: Kansas Flint Hills
Contact:

Re: Proposed New VAM Page Listing Format. Vote in the poll below.

Post by PacificWR » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:50 pm

CascadeChris wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:12 pm
[
Maybe for ones like those, I'll use the 1898o v20 as an example, where JB puts the "list" links we add a non-hyper linked annotation something like this..

**High Interest

Or

**High Interest, Non-List VAM

Or we can hyperlink them if someone wants to create specific pegs for each that just have a little paragraph telling why the interest is so high with them.. ??

You do not want to go down the road of links or hyperlinks. Over time they become to difficult to maintain. A good example of this is the broken links on the VAM pages from the old VAMWorld.

User avatar
messydesk
Site Admin
Posts: 2337
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 1:57 am

Re: Proposed New VAM Page Listing Format. Vote in the poll below.

Post by messydesk » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:56 pm

vampicker wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:16 pm
I'll chime in with a note of caution. While it's clearly not the intent here, the potential for abuse and manipulation of a 'key' or any other similar highlighting is very real. As an example, imagine you're a collector with a ton of 78-CC's and you've acquired multiple examples of the same variety that's kinda cool and could be perceived as rare - like mint state VAM 13. In an open sourced venue like this, a member could try to generate demand right before they offer their pieces for sale. Conversely, let's say the same collector has been hunting for a mint state example of something like, let's say VAM 24 or 24A. The day comes when one is for sale, and it suddenly disappears from the list of 'key' stuff.
I'm not opposed to 'lists' - I do one myself every year. I'm just urging caution. Perhaps this should not be an open sourced field.
This is what I was alluding to when I was referring to potential controversy. Whenever a new list comes out, the ink isn't even dry before someone makes some sort of accusatory remark regarding inclusion or exclusion of a specific variety. If you see that there is a significant number of VAMs that are interesting and rare that are not included in currently published works, make your own list, have it peer reviewed, and publish it. Until then, I'd prefer that isolated remarks of a specific VAM's importance not be added to the date pages.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

colwillys
Posts: 801
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:39 pm

Re: Proposed New VAM Page Listing Format. Vote in the poll below.

Post by colwillys » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:59 pm

It is just like smoking JUST SAY NO >>>???/// NO

User avatar
vampicker
Posts: 1178
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:48 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Proposed New VAM Page Listing Format. Vote in the poll below.

Post by vampicker » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:12 pm

barbeque or cigarettes?
often the crusher of hopes and dreams

User avatar
messydesk
Site Admin
Posts: 2337
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 1:57 am

Re: Proposed New VAM Page Listing Format. Vote in the poll below.

Post by messydesk » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:35 pm

vampicker wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:12 pm
barbeque or cigarettes?
He'll get run out of Texas if he says barbecue.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

User avatar
PacificWR
Posts: 1377
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 12:17 pm
Location: Kansas Flint Hills
Contact:

Re: Proposed New VAM Page Listing Format. Vote in the poll below.

Post by PacificWR » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:00 pm

messydesk wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:56 pm
vampicker wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:16 pm
I'll chime in with a note of caution. While it's clearly not the intent here, the potential for abuse and manipulation of a 'key' or any other similar highlighting is very real. As an example, imagine you're a collector with a ton of 78-CC's and you've acquired multiple examples of the same variety that's kinda cool and could be perceived as rare - like mint state VAM 13. In an open sourced venue like this, a member could try to generate demand right before they offer their pieces for sale. Conversely, let's say the same collector has been hunting for a mint state example of something like, let's say VAM 24 or 24A. The day comes when one is for sale, and it suddenly disappears from the list of 'key' stuff.
I'm not opposed to 'lists' - I do one myself every year. I'm just urging caution. Perhaps this should not be an open sourced field.
This is what I was alluding to when I was referring to potential controversy. Whenever a new list comes out, the ink isn't even dry before someone makes some sort of accusatory remark regarding inclusion or exclusion of a specific variety. If you see that there is a significant number of VAMs that are interesting and rare that are not included in currently published works, make your own list, have it peer reviewed, and publish it. Until then, I'd prefer that isolated remarks of a specific VAM's importance not be added to the date pages.
There are tools available to address this. I am not a big fan of any them but, an Info box could be created and tied to an ID. That would solve the problem. The "Top Collectable VAMs" box is a good vehicle to utilize to highlight outstanding VAMs that have been discovered and are currently being ignored but, maybe it is best for now, not to include it but, move forward on the other things.
Last edited by PacificWR on Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
CascadeChris
Posts: 2484
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 10:41 pm

Re: Proposed New VAM Page Listing Format. Vote in the poll below.

Post by CascadeChris » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:06 pm

messydesk wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:35 pm
vampicker wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:12 pm
barbeque or cigarettes?
He'll get run out of Texas if he says barbecue.
Like👏button👏NOW! 🤣
Alonzi VW 2.0!

User avatar
PacificWR
Posts: 1377
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 12:17 pm
Location: Kansas Flint Hills
Contact:

Re: Proposed New VAM Page Listing Format. Vote in the poll below.

Post by PacificWR » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:27 pm

Ok, the “Top Collectable VAMs” box has been removed from the 1886-O VAM Page Listing , plus the barbeque has been eaten, the cigarettes smoked the beer drank and I just checked Texas is still a state, so it is time to move on. My plans for updating the rest of VAM page listing is to first complete the 1886 series, move on to other series and save the 1878, 1921 and 1922 series for last. This will take some time to complete.

Mhomei
Posts: 530
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 7:23 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Proposed New VAM Page Listing Format. Vote in the poll below.

Post by Mhomei » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:54 pm

According to JB past remarks on migration the message board was saved as a whole.
That being said we can retrieve that info to pages here and repair the link to work again.

So they are not a good example for this scenario of maintenance on links since the majority were links to message board.

Dead links are the teletrades and other past sites that no longer exist so they need to be removed.

User avatar
messydesk
Site Admin
Posts: 2337
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 1:57 am

Re: Proposed New VAM Page Listing Format. Vote in the poll below.

Post by messydesk » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:45 am

Migrating the old message board is easier said than done, unfortunately. I have it as a big JSON database right now, along with ask images that we're ever attached to messages (70,000 or so, if I recall). What I'm most inclined to do when I have a chance is write some more scripts to import them into another forum here. This way, it will be threaded like before, and searchable like the current one is. Even that has some considerations I haven't thought through, yet.

The dead links to old threads that appear on the assorted VAM pages should not be deleted, as they contain a thread ID that matches the database I have. When I do figure out how to do the import, at least that will be available to help resolve the link.

If you run across other dead links, remove them.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

Post Reply