"Sort By Raritity/Interest"

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
TheYokel

"Sort By Raritity/Interest"

Post by TheYokel » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:13 pm

I know it would be a huge undertaking, but has there ever been discussion of adding a "Sort by Rarity" or "Sort by Interest Level" type link to each Year/Mint series?

It would give a quick-glance reference to cherry-pickers in the wild to know the really rare VAMs to look out for at a shop/convention/etc...

I understand the rarity and interest levels might change over time, but I can't see it being anything but helpful to VAM hunters?
It's coming... :popcorn:

CascadeChris

Re: "Sort By Raritity/Interest"

Post by CascadeChris » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:51 pm

First you would need the MUCH more "huge undertaking" of going through pops and updating actual rarity which is nearly impossible for all but the popular list coins as nobody really reports pops of the mundane varities. The rarity and interest numbers are just an estimate Leroy gives at the time he gives a new listing. Nothing more even though you see people trying to use them as sales bait to sell a VAM.
Alonzi VW 2.0!

TheYokel

Post by TheYokel » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:48 am

CascadeChris wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:51 pm
First you would need the MUCH more "huge undertaking" of going through pops and updating actual rarity which is nearly impossible for all but the popular list coins as nobody really reports pops of the mundane varities. The rarity and interest numbers are just an estimate Leroy gives at the time he gives a new listing. Nothing more even though you see people trying to use them as sales bait to sell a VAM.
Oh i thought they were something that updated every so often. Learned something new, thank you :)

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:54 am

TheYokel wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:13 pm
I understand the rarity and interest levels might change over time, but I can't see it being anything but helpful to VAM hunters?
This is one reason why it would not be good to do this. Another reason is that the rarity numbers don't mean much. They're estimates at the time of discovery. Thee identification of being on the Top 100, Hot 50, and other lists are probably the best indication as to which VAMs are "important." The shorter lists are meant to focus the cherrypicker on a smaller number of varieties.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

TheYokel

Post by TheYokel » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:09 am

messydesk wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:54 am
TheYokel wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:13 pm
This is one reason why it would not be good to do this. Another reason is that the rarity numbers don't mean much. They're estimates at the time of discovery. Thee identification of being on the Top 100, Hot 50, and other lists are probably the best indication as to which VAMs are "important." The shorter lists are meant to focus the cherrypicker on a smaller number of varieties.
I understand :)

Hot 50/Top 100: the only thing i would disagree about strictly following the "hit lists" is that there are probably some varieties that only a handful/dozen have been seen that aren't highlighted on those lists. Like the 1891-O VAM 15A+B...

As an aside: So there is a legit chance there is at least one listing at R6 or R7 that is a dirt common variety that just wasn't seen commonly by LVA until that point?

blh74

Post by blh74 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:43 am

My experience is with a 1890 CC I sent to LVA in 2015. I sent it to him two times! First time he said VAM 8 I-2 R-3. Second time he said WOW! it is a VAM 13 (revised) I-5 R-6. He really liked the coin and wrote an article for the VAM-e and The View.

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:05 am

Sorting by raritity might end up costing half your stuff.
often the crusher of hopes and dreams

TheYokel

Post by TheYokel » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:39 am

vampicker wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:05 am
I don't hunt for prestige, I just like to find things no one sees very often. I know my initial reception here may have been ill-received (mainly on my part), but I do this mainly to learn about the coins themselves. I love the history behind things. Finding a coin that was only struck 100 times before the shift supervisor noticed it is worth more to me than a Top 100.

I do enjoy hunting for my registry coins... But a truly one-off/handful coin has to be the goal of most people here? :)

TheYokel

Post by TheYokel » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:42 am

blh74 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:43 am
My experience is with a 1890 CC I sent to LVA in 2015. I sent it to him two times! First time he said VAM 8 I-2 R-3. Second time he said WOW! it is a VAM 13 (revised) I-5 R-6. He really liked the coin and wrote an article for the VAM-e and The View.
I'll actually be posting something similar soon.....

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:24 am

TheYokel wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:09 am
Hot 50/Top 100: the only thing i would disagree about strictly following the "hit lists" is that there are probably some varieties that only a handful/dozen have been seen that aren't highlighted on those lists. Like the 1891-O VAM 15A+B...
The lists are a starting point, where to continue from there is left to the curiosity of the collector.
As an aside: So there is a legit chance there is at least one listing at R6 or R7 that is a dirt common variety that just wasn't seen commonly by LVA until that point?
Yes. 82-CC VAM 3D and 82-O VAM 38B come to mind, and are both listed as R7. At time of listing, they were both assumed to be rare due to advanced die deterioration. I see them both regularly.

CascadeChris

Post by CascadeChris » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:30 am

TheYokel wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:39 am
vampicker wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:05 am
I don't hunt for prestige, I just like to find things no one sees very often. I know my initial reception here may have been ill-received (mainly on my part), but I do this mainly to learn about the coins themselves. I love the history behind things. Finding a coin that was only struck 100 times before the shift supervisor noticed it is worth more to me than a Top 100.

I do enjoy hunting for my registry coins... But a truly one-off/handful coin has to be the goal of most people here? :)
Then you should break out the big boy pants and dive deep into the 8TF's once your knowledge expands a bit and if your wallet can handle it. Maybe someone has a link to the history. The dies on many failed so early that some are down right mega rare but lots of eyes on those..
Last edited by CascadeChris on Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alonzi VW 2.0!

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:46 am

Guess no one proofreads... Kinda lost the joke of a Freudian nip slip staring at us in the title.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:51 am

vampicker wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:46 am
Guess no one proofreads... Kinda lost the joke of a Freudian nip slip staring at us in the title.
Heh heh... heh... he said, "tittle." Oh, wait. Title. Never mind.

tmanhg

Post by tmanhg » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:13 am

I noticed but my typing is not so good sometimes also.

colwillys

Post by colwillys » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:37 am

Rarity is not here 1925-S VAM 3A but the hunt for this coin my take you around the world .
3 coin found in all these years , Did the supervisor is the and stop the presses . I do not think their will be
on buy sell trade .

vammertime

Post by vammertime » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:26 am

Back to your original question, every Peace dollar listing has had a "Sort by Rarity" link at the top of each page for years.
Ain’t No Cure For The Vammertime Blues!

vamsterdam

Post by vamsterdam » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:21 pm

there are plenty of coins that were listed as low interest/low rarity that are high interest, high rarity today. rarity and interest factors are close to useless.

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:44 pm

Yeah, those rarity and interest ratings are vague guidelines at best. A true picture of rarity and more specifically relative rarity doesn't develop for years. Interest has always been a moving target. How many coins actually grab our attention after we've owned them for a while? How many sets are still 'exciting' after we've completed them? For much of numismatics, it is the experience itself that is of the most value in retrospect.

blh74

Post by blh74 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:20 am

Yes I agree with vampicker. It truly is the experience factor. On my first discovery coin I asked Mhomei to help. I did not even know how to scan the letter and pictures! We talked on the phone as he led me through how to do it. I got a good laugh when he congratulated me on my first discovery and said now I will be a "household name". Thanks Mitch for making this hobby fun.