PCGS attribution question

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
dantvams

PCGS attribution question

Post by dantvams » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:34 pm

I've noticed a number of the Gene Henry NGC graded VAMs up on Ebay with advanced designations such as 1880 VAM-1A1 Knob 8 EDS. If I look on the pop report for PCGS, none of these appear. Does anyone know if PCGS will cross these coins into the same, in this case, 1A1 designation? Do they maybe designate these and just lump them into the 1A population? My customer wants all PCGS so I just wondered if anyone has experience with this. We know there are PCGS designated 1879-S Rev 78 VAM 56, 66, 77 and 77A yet none appear on their population report.

Thanking you all in advance and have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving.
Dan

weth

Re: PCGS attribution question

Post by weth » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:37 pm

Hi Dan,

I don't think that PCGS necessarily makes that level of distinction. "PCGS will attribute 317 Morgan and 52 Peace dollar varieties." That listing is here:

https://www.pcgs.com/vamvarieties

They list just the 80P 1A and not the more granular 1A1. But as you note, that's clearly not a comprehensive list, as there are many more 1878P varieties that they'll attribute other than the five that are on that list.

Tom / weth

TheYokel

Post by TheYokel » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:40 pm

From a purely profit standpoint, you would think they would cater a little more to the registry chasers. I know that
If they did the K12 or CD25 i would start a PCGS list with mine...
It's coming... :popcorn:

twohawks

Post by twohawks » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:51 pm

PCGS has an issue with the 1880 p vam 1A2 I hold one of the coins that was the Break point for the VAM 1a1 and V 1a2. Leroy calls the VAM 1a2 Knobbed 8 as a coin with the triangle die break at the 8 and a crack running into the relief. PCGS calls this coin a VAM 1a EDS, when its not, The VAM 1a EDS has no break at all, If the crack runs into the relief you have a VAM-1a2 EDS Knobbed 8. Ash and I have sent my 1880 P into PCGS with a copy of a Leroy letter and they don't agree with Ash, Leroy or me.

PCGS is starting to think Attribution is like grading, when its not! I have the same issue with an 1880 P V-33a in MS 61. PCGS states its not and have done so 4 times, but the coin is! I own an MS-64 in this VAM and owned an MS-63 as well. I was told they really cant make out the E Back bone and I found that "Funny" as the same attributor could not see the E Clash on my 1891 O VAM 3a2 in MS-63, and that one took 3 trips to PCGS to get attributed.

The Die is the Die and the variety is and should be based on Leroy's official listing, Not PCGS's attempts to set their own guild lines.