Question about die marriages

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
demetri

Question about die marriages

Post by demetri » Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:24 am

Trying to wrap my head around 1878 s die pair marriages and could use some guidance.

Obverse II 42 seems to be the only obverse with 878 doubled and liberty doubled at top, right, bottom, so do I assume this is the only obverse with that if no other one is listed??

so say Im looking at the Obverse II 42. My coin has everything listed except the Point of fourth right star is NOT completely broken off. Is it possible there was different stages of the point break, since this is a dmpl. Im still learning so dont to be too hard on me lol 1878S is a whopper, it goes on and on with multiple windows open lol

So I have to pair it with a reverse right??? But the die study says its associated with V98 which has lines in tail feather where mine is smooooooooooth lol almost a satin finish so I guess I have to keep looking at tail feathers to match the Obverse II 42 with a reverse right??? So what if I find a reverse with different front, is that a new vam or a variation???

messydesk
Site Admin

Re: Question about die marriages

Post by messydesk » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:15 am

Bits of the star break broke off the hub, not the die. The die is a snapshot of the hub, so all coins made with the II 42 obverses will show the complete hub break.

Hub breaks cause raised elements to be missing on the coin. Die breaks cause additional raised elements on the coin.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

demetri

Re: Question about die marriages

Post by demetri » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:35 am

I see thanks, not so easy ha ha