messydesk
Site Admin

Re: OT - Feed Finger Gouges Or ?

Post by messydesk » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:57 pm

RogerRock wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:22 pm
ANACS grade/attribution posted.

1940 50c ANACS # 5420329 VF 25 Struck from Eroded Dies
Comment - Most probably Die Erosion. Still uncertain about what may have caused this. It might be worthwhile to have this examined by Mike Diamond or Jon Sullivan.

I would disagree with "Struck from Eroded Dies". The dies have been damaged from a major striking error in my opinion. I have an ANACS 1924 D 1c #2933521 VF 20 Damaged Reverse Die which exhibits a long straight line plateau across the field and devices that was well known and documented before it was encapsulated.

The big question is what could have caused this die damage ???
I think the advice to have it examined by Mike Diamond and/or Jon Sullivan should be taken to heart.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:24 pm

Yeah, looked at this for a long time and didn't come up with a conclusive explanation. That's also not exactly the same description I used. I could swear I settled on some wording about obv & rev die gouges. The senior numismatists can overrule me. Glad they left my 'not certain' wording and recommendation for review on your packing slip. It's a puzzle worthy of further investigation.
often the crusher of hopes and dreams

RogerRock

Post by RogerRock » Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:56 am

Jon Sullivan said " I can't tell based on the photos. Could be die damage or a clashed die."

Die damage is an obvious observation. The real question is what caused this die damage?

Thanks JR for your thoughtful consideration about this walker error.
Stage 3 TERMINAL DIE STATE SILVER DOLLAR EXPLORER

RogerRock

Post by RogerRock » Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:28 pm

Read an excellent description which seems to explain the die damage that created this Walker.

See: ERROR-REF.COM

Die Damage: Peripheral die damage (Die Attrition Error)
due to accidental contact with the collar or other machine part

Example: 1983 Lincoln cent (pictured) with numerous short obliquely oriented RIDGES extending in from the (undamaged) rim and terminating in the field that are clearly the result of mechanical damage.
Stage 3 TERMINAL DIE STATE SILVER DOLLAR EXPLORER

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:38 pm

I read the article here https://www.error-ref.com/peripheral-die-damage/
Interesting, but I'm not convinced that explains the weirdness on your Walkers. It's somewhat similar, but not the same. I don't recall the pronounced peripheral element in the affected area
often the crusher of hopes and dreams