1922-P 'eYe D'

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
Post Reply
Geseas
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:49 am
Location: West Michigan

1922-P 'eYe D'

Post by Geseas » Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:44 pm

Hello, everyone.
Please take a look at these photo attempts.
I am trying to interest you in the interaction of the PMD with flow lines and faint die scratches. All,
( any) of your thoughts are appreciated. Please be brutal; I think I can handle it. :) If any interest I will add it to the post. Thanks.
This is the best site!
1922-P VAM-17.JPG
1922-P VAM-17.JPG (323.58 KiB) Viewed 873 times
1922-P VAM-17_02.JPG
1922-P VAM-17_02.JPG (337.64 KiB) Viewed 873 times
1922-P VAM-17_04.JPG
1922-P VAM-17_04.JPG (289.11 KiB) Viewed 853 times
...I'm pretty sure I have wasted some time with another Darksider illusion.

I think this next photo clearly shows PMD on that eye. When I zoom in on this photo I am always surprised where the 'illusion of the D' pops out from. (my wife does not see the 'D' at all)
1922-P VAM-17_08.JPG
1922-P VAM-17_08.JPG (165.1 KiB) Viewed 834 times
Soo, how did I do with the suggestion this is a 1922-P VAM-17? Here is the 'lightning hit' Rev. photo of this 1922-P. :)
gcs_1922-P VAM 17 rev..JPG
gcs_1922-P VAM 17 rev..JPG (230.91 KiB) Viewed 834 times
Is she a vam 17?
Thanks all.
Last edited by Geseas on Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
messydesk
Site Admin
Posts: 3226
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 1:57 am

Re: 1922-P 'eYe D'

Post by messydesk » Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:29 am

What am I missing here? VAM 17 has a strong DDR on the wing and olive branch. I think I see doubling on the uppermost leaf that might match VAM 17, but I don't know that I see anything else in the picture. The obverse is simply heavy die wear with a bunch of hits. If it is a match, be sure to also check against other DDRs.

Aside: The olive leaves need a numbering system to make it easier to identify them succinctly. I'd start with leaf 1 being the uppermost leaf and then work clockwise around the branch, ending with 12 closest to the talon. Probably a bit late for that to do much good.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

Geseas
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:49 am
Location: West Michigan

Re: 1922-P 'eye

Post by Geseas » Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:33 am

JB, I don't think you are missing anything here.
I just need to search for coins in someplace better than the bottom of old folks' sock drawers.

added: I felt compelled to try and shine some light on this tired and worn coin with more photo attempts.
Thanks for your patience! I feel I am getting better at it: thanks to you :)

This coin has definitely been flattened at leaf #5 & 6, but still show die doubling?
gcs 1922-p_ 03.JPG
gcs 1922-p_ 03.JPG (374.56 KiB) Viewed 781 times
gcs 1922-P 01.JPG
gcs 1922-P 01.JPG (293.29 KiB) Viewed 778 times
Screenshot 2022-03-08 5.01.58 PM.png.jpg
Screenshot 2022-03-08 5.01.58 PM.png.jpg (84.67 KiB) Viewed 777 times
gcs neck 1922-p.JPG
gcs neck 1922-p.JPG (252.61 KiB) Viewed 773 times
...possible snag here on Obv.? :)
compare neck 1922-p.jpg
compare neck 1922-p.jpg (110.75 KiB) Viewed 772 times
Great Fun.
Last edited by Geseas on Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Geseas
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:49 am
Location: West Michigan

Re: 1922-P 'eYe D'

Post by Geseas » Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:46 pm

messydesk wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:29 am
What am I missing here? VAM 17 has a strong DDR on the wing and olive branch. I think I see doubling on the uppermost leaf that might match VAM 17, but I don't know that I see anything else in the picture. The obverse is simply heavy die wear with a bunch of hits. If it is a match, be sure to also check against other DDRs.

Aside: The olive leaves need a numbering system to make it easier to identify them succinctly. I'd start with leaf 1 being the uppermost leaf and then work clockwise around the branch, ending with 12 closest to the talon. Probably a bit late for that to do much good.
1922-P reverses.jpeg
1922-P reverses.jpeg (57.56 KiB) Viewed 746 times
I think you would have to number the berries along with the 12 leaves. The only difference in the above photo may be the stem on that last berry. imo. ...using the Darkside branch the way Dennis uses the Morgan scribbles to ID ;)

davidkclose
Posts: 308
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:39 pm

Re: 1922-P 'eYe D'

Post by davidkclose » Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:10 am

Try VAM 14.

Geseas
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:49 am
Location: West Michigan

Re: 1922-P 'eYe D'

Post by Geseas » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:16 pm

davidkclose wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:10 am
Try VAM 14.
Thanks David.
I am having problems locating photographs of the 1922-P Vam-14. This is understandable when you consider my sources for information are just Vamworld 2.0 and what I can find on the internet.
1922-P Vam-14 is not too popular; being the evil twin of Vam-17 & 17a.

I think I have boiled down the problem I am having to this progression on a 1922-P Vam 17 to Vam 17A Both are II 1 Obverses.
Here are the two photos:
Ja1922P-V17-neck.jpg
Ja1922P-V17-neck.jpg (244.38 KiB) Viewed 686 times
to
1922-P_VAM-17A_Die_Break_Neck.jpg
1922-P_VAM-17A_Die_Break_Neck.jpg (34.67 KiB) Viewed 686 times
It maybe I just need the two coins in hand to compare. :)

vamsterdam
Posts: 1202
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:48 am

Re: 1922-P 'eYe D'

Post by vamsterdam » Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:09 pm

i have both vam 17 and vam14. v14 doesn't get the respect that it ought. ii can't prove it yet,but i think vam 14(and maybe v17) are both type 2/type 1. no doubling of rays. doubling appears at lower left of branch where they start. , leaves are widely doubled, but again, no doubling of rays. not sure if mountains show any doubling.

Geseas
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:49 am
Location: West Michigan

Re: 1922-P 'eYe D'

Post by Geseas » Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:54 am

vamsterdam wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:09 pm
i have both vam 17 and vam14. v14 doesn't get the respect that it ought. ii can't prove it yet,but i think vam 14(and maybe v17) are both type 2/type 1. no doubling of rays. doubling appears at lower left of branch where they start. , leaves are widely doubled, but again, no doubling of rays. not sure if mountains show any doubling.
I agree, there is something going on in this area of V14/17/17a that warrants further study.
Having those two coins you have available to you will be a great help.
Here is a photo attempt of the mountains on this coin. Not much to go on... this coin I have is rather tired.
gcs_1922-P_ mount.JPG
gcs_1922-P_ mount.JPG (105.02 KiB) Viewed 635 times

Post Reply