4 New 1881-O VAMs (Maybe, Hopefully)

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
HawkeEye

4 New 1881-O VAMs (Maybe, Hopefully)

Post by HawkeEye » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:32 pm

I finished up my newsletter for February a little early and quite frankly I want to go ahead and post it here so I quit fiddling with it. This has been a long month in front of a microscope and long hours trying to figure out just what I had. By getting this out there now I am hoping for constructive comments, and I certainly have no issues with refinements. Sometimes you can look at these for so long that you overlook things. You can also look at a feature and think "I know I have seen that" but you just cannot find it within existing VAMs. Stopping now may just preserve my sanity.

This month I looked at the 1881-O VAMs 1 and 1A to see if we had those classified correctly. I also got a letter from Leroy responding to my questions about these two, and my research confirmed what I heard back from him. A lot has happened since we classified these coins as VAMs 1 and 1A, including more understanding and the expansion of the VAM list for the 1881-O.

My study concludes that the coins currently classified as VAMs 1 and 1A are not and can be grouped into what I believe will be four new VAMs. I have named these on my own not to claim the names but to keep them straight while examining these 20 coins. The four groups are:

A - Doubled BER, Doubled Date, Spike in 8, Pitted Wing-Neck Gap
B - Same Reverse as Type A; No Spike in 8, Doubled 18, Notched Right 1
C - Buck Tooth, Dot in Left Leaves
D - Double Profile, Polish Lines in Front of Eye, O Tilted Right, Die Chip Wing-Neck Gap

I further conclude for at least the 1881-O series, VAMs 1 and 1A do not exist and may not be attainable given the production techniques and skills in 1881, and changes to the granularity of study for VAMs today. VAM 1A is the progenitor of many other VAMs, so it has a special challenge existing. You can read more about this in the newsletter. http://www.1881o.com/2022-02.html The page is long, but I put some links to the new types in the upper portion so you don't have to scroll down.

Thanks to all and hope you are staying safe. When JB and others are ready to start looking at new items again I will get these off for analysis.
Deep in the woods of North Georgia

shortnock

Re: 4 New 1881-O VAMs (Maybe, Hopefully)

Post by shortnock » Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:04 pm

Your study is much appreciated.
Refrain from computing the total number of poultry... before the process of incubation has fully materialized.

HawkeEye

Re: 4 New 1881-O VAMs (Maybe, Hopefully)

Post by HawkeEye » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:33 am

Thanks, I keep plugging away at it. It is still a process of discovery after many years.
Deep in the woods of North Georgia