FUN Show 2022 Roll Call

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
LateDateMorganGuy

FUN Show 2022 Roll Call

Post by LateDateMorganGuy » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:59 pm

Seems like the show is still on. Not sure of the covid protocols, doesn't seem to have anything on the website that I can find about that. Orange County has not instituted anything about venues like this as far as I know. The show agenda still shows the JR "My Top 12 VAMs for 2022" and the "VAM Thing" for Friday afternoon.

Don't know if omicron has changed anyone's plans. I plan to be there Friday afternoon if nothing else but to put in an ANACS submission and attend the two events. Maybe look up anyone else that might be there. Since the show has different dates this year, a VAM dinner on Thursday evening seems iffy I would assume.

vampicker

Re: FUN Show 2022 Roll Call

Post by vampicker » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:32 pm

The plan as of today is for me to attend. A big piece of it depends on a plane actually showing up and leaving from Columbus Thursday morning
often the crusher of hopes and dreams

LateDateMorganGuy

Post by LateDateMorganGuy » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:02 am

Looks like Heritage has bailed on live auctions at FUN. But supposedly lot viewing is still taking place. Maybe this is old news.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:18 am

I'm supposed to arrive Thursday late morning, so early afternoon at the show. Whether or not that happens is up to the airline. There will be a dinner Thursday night with a TBD number of people.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

morganman

Post by morganman » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:36 am

:popcorn: natrually covid has everything & everybody
a total mess with no end in sight
very scary & travel prohibitive IMHO
Not of any interest to this ol duffer

really sucks for those of you who need
make a living Stay Safe Happy New Yr
:|

keilg1

Post by keilg1 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:46 am

Agree with @morganman as this must be a difficult decision for those of you who benefit from in-person events. All I can hope is that you get in and out of one of the states that has been mismanaged by far worst than most.

Travel safely so we can have a productive and fun 2022 beyond FUN.

LateDateMorganGuy

Post by LateDateMorganGuy » Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:43 pm

I reply with hesitation. I do not want to start anything. But Covid knows no politics.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:20 pm

keilg1 wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:46 am
Agree with @morganman as this must be a difficult decision for those of you who benefit from in-person events. All I can hope is that you get in and out of one of the states that has been mismanaged by far worst than most.
If I look at things that matter in dealing with the pandemic itself, deaths per case, Florida is in the middle third. If I look at deaths per case over the past 7 days, Florida has the least of the 46 states reporting non-zero deaths, although holidays probably perturb this number. I haven't normalized the data for differences in age demographics, but Florida has the highest population at the highest risk, with over 19% over age 65, tending to be in more concentrated population centers. The median percentage is about 15%. In terms of collateral damage caused by the managing of the pandemic -- economic and quality of life impact, it looks like Florida did better than most states -- top 10 GDP growth, kids are allowed to see each other's faces in school, and people are able to make personal health decisions without being punished by the government. As for my trip to FUN, the data shows that I will be getting in and out of one of the states that has been managed far better than mine.

colwillys

Post by colwillys » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:24 pm

The Air line companies could carless about flying you on time or maybe less you set on the airport .

fogie

Post by fogie » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:09 pm

See ya there - I hope!

LateDateMorganGuy

Post by LateDateMorganGuy » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:37 pm

Brent, hope to see you there and run into you. I have a surprise for you.

collectinsince65

Post by collectinsince65 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:55 pm

Sadly I will not make the January FUN. Working instead.
I was able to attend the summer FUN of 2021.
The show was very well managed.
And I was able to visit with friends and make a few picks.
Hope that all attend have a great show!

alefzero

Post by alefzero » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:24 am

Regrettably, I will not be there. Cancelled my flight Tuesday afternoon. But for those who are going, my table will have two outstanding members of the VAM community in my stead. Stop by 313 for sure.

vamsterdam

Post by vamsterdam » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:10 pm

I did 68 shows last year. Not a typo. I will be there.

keilg1

Post by keilg1 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:22 pm

messydesk wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:20 pm
keilg1 wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:46 am
If I look at things that matter in dealing with the pandemic itself, deaths per case, Florida is in the middle third. If I look at deaths per case over the past 7 days, Florida has the least of the 46 states reporting non-zero deaths, although holidays probably perturb this number. I haven't normalized the data for differences in age demographics, but Florida has the highest population at the highest risk, with over 19% over age 65, tending to be in more concentrated population centers. The median percentage is about 15%. In terms of collateral damage caused by the managing of the pandemic -- economic and quality of life impact, it looks like Florida did better than most states -- top 10 GDP growth, kids are allowed to see each other's faces in school, and people are able to make personal health decisions without being punished by the government. As for my trip to FUN, the data shows that I will be getting in and out of one of the states that has been managed far better than mine.
Many different angles to consider for sure. My main point was the safety for all y'all.

The second point of mismanagement - thankfully not all mismanagement needs to end in deaths by raw count or by per 100K normalization. Florida by all regards to those of us in healthcare (and healthcare management) has fallen dismally short of what could have been done. This doesn't exonerate the other states from standing accountable for their own mismanagement, just pointing out that things could have been done better.

My own home state of Wyoming falls into that woefully inadequate realm, too, unfortunately.

I'm living in the UK right now and this country has clearly shown to be a front-runner in mismanagement, more unfortunate...

Thanks for your statistics and thinking, John, and dedication to not just the hobby but everyone involved.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:25 pm

Anyone arriving at MCO around 11:15 Thursday that wants to share a ride to the show?

78-sLongnock

Post by 78-sLongnock » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:51 pm

Can’t make it this year
Will have to live vicariously thru the posts
Hope the Vam Thing can be recorded so we can watch the new updates
And JRs 2022 list.
Last edited by 78-sLongnock on Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

vamnuke

Post by vamnuke » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:23 pm

No FUN for me this year :( . I had planned to go but the current state, I decided it’s better to stay put; fully vaxxed but don’t want to put myself at risk; just started a new job last month plus spending lots of time with family member that does not need to get sick. Anyway, I will miss seeing friends, and fellow collectors. I had planned to drop off a submission to both PCGS and ANACS, and sending few jewels to VSS, and miss out of maybe filling a missing 78-S hole (that doesn’t sound right!!), or a slot in another set. I am also disappointed that I’ll miss JRs annual list and the VAM Thing; hopefully both will be recorded. meantime, I have been having some good luck fishing in the murky waters of the bay of E, with some really good catches, plus a couple TBD (fingers crossed) when Uncle Sam decides to deliver. For those in attendance, best wishes for a great show!

JASONKFLO

Post by JASONKFLO » Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:06 pm

Well if anyone there spots a 1891 o vam 1A3 in AU please please let me know . I would really like to find one
Jason Floyd
I climb Mountains , Grow Bamboo and like Coins