we have all been waiting w/ eager anticipation

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
fogie

we have all been waiting w/ eager anticipation

Post by fogie » Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:11 pm

I know we have all been waiting w/ eager anticipation for the IKE dollars to get to the SSDC registry - now is the time!!! Feel free to add your coins - just play nice...AND HAVE FUN!!! (Seasons greeting to everyone!)

messydesk
Site Admin

Re: we have all been waiting w/ eager anticipation

Post by messydesk » Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:17 pm

WCF = W. C. Fields?
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

fogie

Post by fogie » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:38 pm

WCF = Wexler, Crawford & Flynn - they did a book on IKE varieties. I did not know this until you ask so good on you 4 making me look into it....

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:51 pm

Uhm, I guess I'll say it. The WCF book is badly out of date to the point of being virtually meaningless. The majority of its entries are from dies doubled at the master die or working hub level and are not reliably distinguishable from each other. The series is plagued with this issue. You can't even get thru the Cherrypickers Guide listings without running into this deal
often the crusher of hopes and dreams

JohnGoldsmith

Post by JohnGoldsmith » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:57 pm

fogie wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:11 pm
I know we have all been waiting w/ eager anticipation for the IKE dollars to get to the SSDC registry - now is the time!!! Feel free to add your coins - just play nice...AND HAVE FUN!!! (Seasons greeting to everyone!)
So since the bulk of these fine gems are CLAD. Is the SSDC name going to be altered to indicated the clad? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: We cannot offend the clad collectors.

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:57 am

So I really should have looked at the sets first. What's there is a decent basic set. Gonna add my set into the mix now
Thanks fogie!

Put my Ikes in, a couple of slots won't read because they don't seem to be scored

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:15 am

vampicker wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:51 pm
Uhm, I guess I'll say it. The WCF book is badly out of date to the point of being virtually meaningless. The majority of its entries are from dies doubled at the master die or working hub level and are not reliably distinguishable from each other. The series is plagued with this issue. You can't even get thru the Cherrypickers Guide listings without running into this deal
Yeah, Wexler himself pretty much even says that on his own website. What might be worth putting in the registry sets are some of the design varieties as listed on VarietyVista where there are multiple varieties for certain dates, especially the reverses for 71-D, 71-S Proofs, and 72. I'm not convinced that the "Peg Leg R" is anything but an overpolished die, but I haven't really studied them closely.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

Windycity

Post by Windycity » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:15 pm

Are they coming to VAMWorld?

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:45 pm

[/quote]
So since the bulk of these fine gems are CLAD. Is the SSDC name going to be altered to indicated the clad? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: We cannot offend the clad collectors.
[/quote]

We can just use our initials and if the Ike guys ask, we'll claim it sometimes stands for Society of Sandwich Dollar Collectors

78-sLongnock

Post by 78-sLongnock » Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:58 pm

Oh Good, can we now flood your deck with circulated Clad Ike 💵 Dollars ? 😂😂😂

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:09 pm

Nothing that hasn't happened to me before - seriously

fogie

Post by fogie » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:57 pm

@vampicker John - I have fixed the registry issue that prevented some coins from going into the set. I think it should be good now!

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:32 pm

It is, thanks fogie!

alefzero

Post by alefzero » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:09 pm

I dumped the WCF variety prefix and changed the variety descriptors to be more natural. I would propose that we decide at FUN what varieties to specifically include. Anyone who wants input, come prepared. We can add Friendly Eagles and even Peg Legs, if people want them. (I expect Brian and John R will have some good candidates.) And let's keep an eye on making things adapted to be attractive to new members who might want to collect the series more broadly. We can have different levels of sets.

Just an FYI too. The Trade dollar variety guide will have a review version available at FUN. As part of the review process, I ill be linking hundreds of auction appearances at the registry for reviewers to inspect at will. To accommodate that process, I might temporarily elevate that series to the top of the selection menus. But I will alternatively try to input them differently to be less disruptive. But if you see that annoyance, just bear with me. It will be very temporary if I go that direction at all. And if anyone will be at the show who has a significant exposure to Trade dollars, let me know in this thread (my inbox is almost full). The guide will be necessarily rough in presentation and I will try to print only as many copies as needed locally at Staples in Orlando to meet the demand. Will try to find the time to shop it around to get a publisher as an option over self publishing, which is more limited in distribution.

pup_picker

Post by pup_picker » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:56 pm

messydesk wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:15 am
I'm not convinced that the "Peg Leg R" is anything but an overpolished die, but I haven't really studied them closely.
i am under the impression that is the general consensus, them being abraded dies. what have you heard differently?

with the MANY stages on several dates, including proofs i've seen, i don't see how it could be anything else.

edit to add:

although unless that is a common area for clashing to be removed, which i really don't recall seeing any noticeable clashing in that area, it is quite peculiar that business strikes and proofs would have polishing in that precise area, enough to abrade away part of a rather large letter/device on the die(s).

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:50 pm

The later date 'peg leg' dies like the 74 are abraded to efface clashing. But it's worth noting the early stuff like the 71 and 72 are from a different obverse hub (or hubs) that is always missing the serif on the foot of the R.

It would make sense to add the three different reverse types for the 72 Philly. I'd think the 71-D RDV-006 FS-901 would be a good idea too. I'll leave it to you all to decide if you want to call the eagle 'friendly' or not

vamsterdam

Post by vamsterdam » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:33 pm

i have 3 raw boxes and 1 proof box of ike varieties. lots of clashes , doubled dies, and die breaks. and repunched mintmarks.unfortunately, they are in storage now because it looks like i need to find a new home by january 30.

RogerB

Post by RogerB » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:33 pm

As an outsider, I've noticed an apparent excess of Ike variety enthusiasm compared to rationality.

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:29 pm

RogerB wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:33 pm
As an outsider, I've noticed an apparent excess of Ike variety enthusiasm compared to rationality.
If you're expecting me to vouch for the sanity of Ike variety collectors, I ain't tilting at that windmill....

JohnGoldsmith

Post by JohnGoldsmith » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:42 pm

Next will be a lowball set.