Yesteryear Vam Collecting/Investing

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
morganman

Yesteryear Vam Collecting/Investing

Post by morganman » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:00 pm

Sure wierd nowadays to see hardly any of the Vam power players on here buying
selling and creating a healthy market enviroment. The market helped decide their fate.
Even some stellar vams have lost 70% or so value. Some real characters were active making
money and amassing some super sets of our beloved Morgans.

One such character spent many yrs help develop Vams, profited handsomely but
in the end, was not so successful, as to many collectors helped prices decline.
Vams enjoyed the crazy infancy of Super Hype much like other new/newer products etc
In the end it was the few large Vam players that helped Hype & actually hurt the sport IMHO

Many collectors bought into the hype and paid way to much premium. Fortunately i sold
existing Vams into the crazy hyped mkt, and smiled all the way to the bank LOL
It seems the hype is way gone and may be a decent time to begin acquiring select
dandy Vams once again, when interest is low. Spending the time to properly learn Vams
would be this old timers advice to all thinking about spending real money in vams.

I discuss this for new/newer members who did not have the priviledge of vams past
history and values. Homework is a key here IMHO
May you all enjoy learning and collecting these great Morgan Dollars.
:|

hallco

Re: Yesteryear Vam Collecting/Investing

Post by hallco » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:51 pm

You mean we are supposed to sell these when the market goes up?

morganman

Post by morganman » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:30 pm

Hallco- My Response
Almost everyone sells at some point for many varied reasons
I venture to say no one is happy selling at a huge loss, no matter
how much you enjoyed learning and acquiring/holding Vams

Part of the thrill in vams is Learning/purchasing /holding/
and selling for a profit a few along the way in order to buy/upgrade
your collection. Averaging your purchases over time helps dollar cost
averaging and keeps you aware of mkt values
I personally hate selling, even at huge profits, but every dog has his
day, LOL For yrs- members have critized me for even discussing
selling, only to see those same members selling or outright liquidating,
Buying & selling help the owner in becomming a more knowledable
collector/investor/hobbist/numismatist etc

Do your own thing - be smart- be happy- have fun
:|

hallco

Post by hallco » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:06 am

Thanks for the incite MM. Part of my response was a bit tongue in cheek but I appreciate the acknowledgment. I liquidated my entire coin collection in 2006 which was not enormous, but had quite a bit of variety. I decided to keep only 2 coins...both were VAM attributed that I had cherry picked. At that time, I had no intention on ever returning to numismatics. When 2018 rolled around, I remember reading about a large collection of Morgans that were coming into the market and the spark was unexpectedly reignited. I have obtained some neat and cool VAMs since, nothing Earth shattering mind you, including one that was previously owned by Dr. Kimpton(No I do not know him personally). At this point It's all for the hobby and unless I "lose everything" either by my own undoing or by forces much bigger than all of us....I do not plan on parting with them again. :D

alefzero

Post by alefzero » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:41 am

I know I am among those who lost a LOT in VAMs. The biggest driver was a huge accumulation (thousands of slabbed) and being in the very top in many of them and not selling for many years, as more were found and some VAMs lost their luster in the market. I hear it from some who do not believe you can lose in the market over the past few years. Yes, it is very possible.

RogerB

Post by RogerB » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:16 pm

The number of "varieties" tends to increase over time.
The quantity of each "variety" tends to increase over time.
The quantity of "variety" collectors tends to decrease as the number of "varieties" increase.

Etc..... Hence: Don't collect expecting to make a cash profit.

LateDateMorganGuy

Post by LateDateMorganGuy » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:39 pm

What Roger said. I have been doing this since 2002. I have always said POPs go up as time goes on, prices go down accordingly. I could give many examples, but not necessary. The rule of supply and demand still stands.

SilverToken

Post by SilverToken » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:45 pm

I believe that there is a true difference between the combination of Honor, Knowledge, Value, with Fun verses Cash. The discovery and additions to the market of VAM's not only gives more chances for completing a collection, but hopefully conserves Morgan and Peace Dollars, which is the basis of collecting. I seem to remember a great collection by our Government, and others, last century of gold and silver to be melted, and citizens could have no more than $100 worth. That squirreled the numbers then, but who knew?

I am always confused on population and value anyway. For example the "The 1878 8TF VAM-14.18 is an ultra rarity with seven to ten known" on this site, yet PCGS has graded more. Furthermore, the price difference for the same coin NGC vs PCGS is HUGE!

I too dislike values of my coins dropping because of additional VAM verifications, but my children years from now won't mind. After dealing with the loss of parents over the years, I realize that coins are things, and not much will be taken to the great beyond.

Place a value in time that is spent collecting, searching cataloging, driving, etc., we all are making Minimum wage of 1970's. If it's a retirement plan you are after, coins ain't it, luck is.
When it's no longer fun, I think I'm done!