Due Diligence

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
Albannach

Due Diligence

Post by Albannach » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:21 pm

1882 VAM 42 duplicate listing...

See this is what happens when a slightly later state of an existing variety is sent in without the proper comparison coins.

Sigh

HawkeEye

Re: Due Diligence

Post by HawkeEye » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:09 pm

I think this is a common issue since rarely does the discoverer of one VAM have examples of the others to send to Leroy. I don't know the answer other than to be sure Leroy has great photographic records or for VAMers to cooperate to submit coins together. We put Leroy in a very difficult position when all coins are not there together for comparison.

Another option and one I would like to see is a central repository of all Discovery VAMs. This takes some financial commitment on the part of each of us, but would solve the problems I think. This would also solve the problem of what I would call "singularities" where a coin is a Discovery Coin but never seen again. Was it a discovery or did later discoveries supersede it? Have we just not looked hard enough and others are out there? These issues are almost impossible to resolve.

Another possibility is to require two coins of the same VAM before declaring a discovery. Potential discoveries would then wind up in a provisional status until confirmed. Just thoughts, but your point is well taken.
Deep in the woods of North Georgia

Albannach

Post by Albannach » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:29 pm

Agreed

There is no right answer here, which is what turns people off.

Anyway, before someone asks, just focus on the 2 please. The answer is on the pages.

Albannach

Post by Albannach » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:30 pm

Agreed

There is no right answer here, which is what turns people off.

Anyway, before someone asks, just focus on the 2 please. The answer is on the pages.
Metal in date would be a good start...

fogie

Post by fogie » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:50 pm

Vetting through the VAMworld discussion board with lots of good photos before sending to LVA is a really good idea. Also consider reaching out to the folks that do particular year/ mintmarks as their specialty is also very handy. Currently I have 3 unknown 1879-S in a "die studyers" hands for just such vetting.

HawkeEye

Post by HawkeEye » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:33 am

Good thoughts
Deep in the woods of North Georgia

keilg1

Post by keilg1 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:12 pm

Frustrating for all involved, but this is all being advanced by non-paid volunteers.

My own frustration comes when we'd like to get two coins that seem to be a similar 'oddity' into Leroy's hands and the other person doesn't feel the impetus to do the work/send theirs in at the same time, so the study is killed outright or Leroy gets to see only a single coin that then creates the problems already mentioned.

What would be recommended by the community when the "I don't feel the need to help" option is chosen by someone else? It's not like we can (or should) do anything but ask nicely, but we're stuck if the answer is still 'no' from them.

Gary