Coin prices

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
iceman

Coin prices

Post by iceman » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:25 pm

Hi to ALL
Is it just me or are coin prices for Morgans just getting Higher ?
Just seems like prices are more expensive as of late . Any thoughts to the Why ?
It would seem its time to clear out some duplictes of stuff if these prices keep going up .
But I still have never gotten rid of a coin as of yet . LOL . Hard to part with them . LOL

John

DHalladay

Re: Coin prices

Post by DHalladay » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:48 pm

Morgan prices have been on a tear pretty much all year long, especially for common and slightly better dates in modest Mint State grades. Some dates, like 1921-D, have gone berserk on a percentage basis. It's as though the definition of "cheap" has been increased up by 50% or more. I can't make any sense of it.
When in doubt... don't.

vamnuke

Post by vamnuke » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:38 am

Yup; take a common garden variety 78-S in MS 64; probably a year ago, it was easy to pick a nice one in good plastic for about $120. Now, prices are well north of of $200. Look at “common” pre-1933 gold; prices increases have far exceeded that of the gold value. Anyway market is on quite a ride, like Dennis, can’t make sense of it all…

impairedsquirrel

Post by impairedsquirrel » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:11 pm

I believe it is a combination of Crypto money (mostly, because the sh*t started hitting the fan when crypto took off early this year) and Covid money entering the market...
I go totally NUTS for WOW! VAMs!! Or is that from WOW! VAMs?

lioncutter

Post by lioncutter » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:38 pm

Definitely a seller's market. I have sold off most of my duplicates with no problem but have yet in the last few months find anything of interest to me that is not priced higher than normal. It is a cycle that has been long over due though. Hope sellers can make some profits.
I may not be the best, but I do not know anyone better.

Dirtdoctor

Post by Dirtdoctor » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:34 pm

Supply and Demand very much in play. A data point to consider... Over the last couple years it was normal for EBay to have 100,000 plus Morgans listed, at least in the saved search I use. Just a couple months ago this exact same search was down to low 70,000's. This change in the volume of listings started this spring - 2021.

I think even that 70,000 number is skewed high because in my opinion there are many more culls now being listed individually then before, because of higher prices. Further, the current number has been recently bumped up due to re-sell/pre-sale listings of the US Mint release of 2021 Morgans,

Dirtdoctor

Post by Dirtdoctor » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:37 pm

Correction - just ran the sort to check myself, and the current sale listing population is about 85,000. Points still stand though - I agree the prices are jumping and quality is decreasing.

demetri

Post by demetri » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:50 am

How about 82, 83, 84 CC's were $200 a month ago now over $400, dang should have bought more lol

iceman

Post by iceman » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:31 pm

To All
And again another week of higher Coin prices , makes it not worth while to buy ,unless a Rare Unattributted VAM is found
at these prices . But WOW the price keeps jumping , Time to sell some duplicates I guess , or will the market go Higher ?
I wonder also if the Coin investing for people is a way to advert the possible Tax increase and or the Goverment snopping around in our bank accounts for transactions over $600 . LOL . Just to many reasons why this increase might be happening .
But WOW on some of the listed prices ,but are they going for that type of money ?

John