Date on PCI Slab?

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
SilverToken

Date on PCI Slab?

Post by SilverToken » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:04 pm

Is their any way to get a date or year-ish of a PCI Slab? And why wouldn't seller disclose the slabbing and grading this coin?

Back Story: Bid and won this on Ebay. It was simply listed as Estate Find 1921 - D with (2) close up pics. The seller has "coin" has part of his name and over 50,000 sales. The listing pictures were shot close and cropped down to exclude any holder. To my surprise it arrived sealed in a PCI slab, VAM'd as a 1A and graded a EF-45.

So that got me to wondering why it wasn't listed or shown as a PCI Slab. All I can find is that there were 9 ownership changes at PCI, and that the earlier gradings were more on target, even under graded, and the later, not so good.

The Coin does have some cotton texture, grain in the wheat leaf, some breast feathers, and hasn't been cleaned, so I'm good with the EF-45 as a starting point.

As always, any history or constructive comments appreciated... Next question will be a jewel!
Attachments
IMG_9634.jpg
1921 D 1A Top 100 OBV
IMG_9634.jpg (219.79 KiB) Viewed 638 times
IMG_9633.jpg
1921 D 1A Top 100 REV
IMG_9633.jpg (234.84 KiB) Viewed 638 times
When it's no longer fun, I think I'm done!

DarksideVAM

Re: Date on PCI Slab?

Post by DarksideVAM » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:59 pm

Listing the PCI details violates eBay's collectible coin and currency policy. The seller likely cropped the image to avoid violating this policy.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/proh ... cy?id=4337

I believe the green holders with 10+ digits in the certification number and three codes on the reverse are the older holders. Gold holders or green holders with 9 or fewer digits in the cert number are newer. Take that info with a grain of salt though.

DHalladay

Post by DHalladay » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:20 pm

In 2003, Condor101 – an active member on the PCGS message board who was the go-to person for information about all certified holders – published a 436-page book entitled, "Third Party Grading/Certification Services & Slab/Certificate Varieties", chronicling the evolution of each company's holders, including the approximate date when (if available) each new holder variety appeared.

PCI first appeared in the mid-1980s. The holder you show – "Hallmark style" with clipped corners, green label border, large PCI logo centered on reverse, serial number with 10 digits, a tall barcode (changed to a short barcode in 2000), and two code groups below it – identify it as a PCI 5 slab. Unfortunately, a specific date for its first appearance is not listed.

The chronological dates cited for the PCI 3 and PCI 4 holders seem to put PCI 5 beginning around 1991. I recall it as being the most used of all PCI holders, and used throughout the entire decade.
When in doubt... don't.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:04 pm

That one is early 90s. Their grading was good then. Double-check the attribution, though. While VAM 1A was known then, not much else about 1921-D was.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

SilverToken

Post by SilverToken » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:17 pm

Thanks DarksideVam- The Ebay heads up makes me feel better about the seller, I appreciate those that follow the rules!

Thanks DHalladay- Narrowing down more of the vintage gives me more confidence in the grading.

And Thanks Messydesk- The original attribution was right at one point. The Only reason I considered and bid was because it is now actually a 1921-D VAM-1A2 TRU_T, Top 100. I read somewhere that if the deal was good, and you don't have one.... GET IT. You can upgrade later if one becomes available, but Ain't got is Ain't got...

Until Next time, really appreciate acquired knowledge shared... Stay Safe.
When it's no longer fun, I think I'm done!

Stlcoin

Post by Stlcoin » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:02 am

messydesk wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:04 pm
That one is early 90s. Their grading was good then. Double-check the attribution, though. While VAM 1A was known then, not much else about 1921-D was.
I always liked the 90's era PCI slabs. When J.T Stanton joined them, they were quite good at both attribution & accurate in their grading. I would buy early PCI over PCGS/NGC who seem to generally overgrade and only seem to cater to high dollar slabbers. I always thought excluding PCI from eBay listings was an inside scam. 30 years later I compare my PCI slabbed WLH's to my PCGS/NGC/ANACS specimens and still see much more accuracy, especially on many of my Breen notated specimens.

Bigbub

Post by Bigbub » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:28 pm

I picked up this coin on eBay in 2009. Note the mistaken nomenclature on the label as a 7 TF which is why I bought it as a curiosity piece. I didn't know who Brian Raines was when I bought it. But since it is signed by Brian Raines, (who attributed and graded for PCI for a while) he may be the go to guy on this board to answer some of your questions about the dates of PCI slabbed coins. Maybe he will chime in with some stories about the operation.
Attachments
grw_1878_VAM_9.JPG
grw_1878_VAM_9.JPG (41.63 KiB) Viewed 505 times