SSDC question

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
JohnGoldsmith

SSDC question

Post by JohnGoldsmith » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:49 am

Do we have a function to retire a set and keep a record of it?
Last edited by JohnGoldsmith on Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vam-mysterio

Re: SSDC question

Post by Vam-mysterio » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:54 am

Professor
Do you want to sell your low balls??

ashmore86

Post by ashmore86 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:10 am

I don't think we do. I'd like to completely reload my coins from a spreadsheet...We could use that feature as well.

Also, The MORGAN prices for coins that are in sets have all been priced, so a price guide for Top100, Hot50, Hit List 40, 8TF, 79sr78, Oval Os, O/CCs,and quite a few others could be produced if we could cut them loose.

I KNOW that there will be many early revisions, and the CC's have SOARED since I put them in, not to mention 1921 Peace, but I can fix all that.

Ash

mark

Post by mark » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:46 pm

I concur, It would be nice to retire a set.

alefzero

Post by alefzero » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:45 pm

I might be able to work a snapshot function to retire a set. It will have to be based on my time of course. I am feverishly trying to complete a book to publish before Long Beach at the end of next month.

The spreadsheet uploads are too problematic. Reasons are many but mostly in differences in style in recording them. It is not just field order. For say VAM-2 Die 1, it could be 2, VAM-2, V-2, VAM-2.1, VAM-2d1, ... The system needs to at least figure out candidates and prompt if multiple. Then there are ones that change or now have later states. For instance, 1884-O VAM-32A is not 1884-O VAM-19A. Older eliminated VAMs would need a reference table.

In the beginning, for large collections, I did accept spreadsheets. I examined them and edited them by hand so each would be recognized. Then wrote custom scripts to get the VAM indices used in the database along with TPG, grade, ... It can be laborious. If this was a full-time job, I' could write AI code to do it pretty effectively. Just not enough time. However, if anyone believes they have a special case where doing such could be much more efficient in the case, let me know and I can consider it. The more registrations and the more participation helps everyone.

Always listening for suggestions. I will say that I plan to give my one daughter a task to work javascript code to turn those unbearable full catalogue scrolls (registration, pop lookups, ...) into cascading menus to more efficiently zero in on each VAM.

The book I am doing is on Trade dollar varieties and it is quite a way done. The reason was to be able to add the series to the Registry and help create a variety mark for Trade dollars beyond the CPG. It has consumed the entire pandemic so far and has involved acquiring a LOT of them and inspecting thousands of Trade dollars. So it is definitely still on the front burner.

Still, any suggestions are quite welcome and considered. Just wanted to let folks know where things are at.

See people at Long Beach and/or FUN, where we are going to be set up. (Long Beach table 628, FUN TBD but will be at the Friday meeting)

collectinsince65

Post by collectinsince65 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:59 pm

"Also, The MORGAN prices for coins that are in sets have all been priced, so a price guide for Top100, Hot50, Hit List 40, 8TF, 79sr78, Oval Os, O/CCs,and quite a few others could be produced if we could cut them loose."

Awesome news ASH
So how do we cut them loose?

alefzero

Post by alefzero » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:22 pm

collectinsince65 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:59 pm
So how do we cut them loose?
I just need to tweak a little of my code to make is user friendly. It is basically there now for admins. If I get a little time I will bring that up. But it is only a temporary thing. The full guide, with different reporting possibilities is a grander thing and will be very useful. It will require having all of the pricing completed. I would like to see that done before Long Beach. If my book gets done early enough, I will jump in and fill in the gaps and run it by a few reviewers.

The O/CC and Oval Os, 79-S rev 78, thing like that are in the Top 100 and would be coming up in that list. the 8TF are not specially designated if I recall my parameters. They would be in the complete 1878 date report. Of course a report that limited the VAMs <30 to get 8TF, and similar ranges for the other 1878 subvarieties. I think we are done with 1878 anyway.

alefzero

Post by alefzero » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:13 am

I completed the code. There are some cosmetic issues to clean up, but it is fully functional. Presents list coins for each date and for each list for the typical greysheet sorts of grades. For each individual VAM, it reports the values in all grades.

Ash - It is currently the last button in the Development area of the navigation pane.

I do not want to open it for regular users because I am not yet satisfied with its completeness. Some lists are still neglected. Kimpton 12, for instance. I also want to fill in gaps especially among PL and DMPL values. Not a whole lot of work but just not yet ready.

blh74

Post by blh74 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:19 am

Thanks for tackling such a needed project. I hope to meet you at the Long Beach show.

JohnGoldsmith

Post by JohnGoldsmith » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:14 am

Vam-mysterio wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:54 am
Professor
Do you want to sell your low balls??
Sold