2021 Morgan, Value and Included as Set?

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
SilverToken

2021 Morgan, Value and Included as Set?

Post by SilverToken » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:16 pm

Opinion Time on the New Morgans-

If the Mintage is 175K for each privy, why are the CC's reselling for more, as each coin is 1 out of 175K? Just a mindset?

Do you think that the 2021 Set be included "by the gods" as part and to complete the Master Set of Date/Mint Mark?

NGC is offering Grading, do you think PCGS will?

And finally, do you think that the mint seeing the quick sellout may consider renewing the series on an annual basis, bumping costs and quantity?
When it's no longer fun, I think I'm done!

DHalladay

Re: 2021 Morgan, Value and Included as Set?

Post by DHalladay » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:16 pm

1. CCs are more valuable because they're CCs. And having been sold with a maximum of 10 per household instead of 3 means they got into fewer hands, so there are more hands that want/need to buy them on the secondary market.

2. I don't think they'll be regarded as a regular issue Morgan, but as a commemorative. But that's just a guess; I'm eager to find out the answer myself.

3. Of course PCGS will grade them. The only question is how many bull---- special label and designation add-on$ they decide to come up with.

4. I don't think the Mint will make them a continuing series... at least I strongly hope not.
When in doubt... don't.

JASONKFLO

Post by JASONKFLO » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:29 pm

The artwork is the same but the coin will look different . Narrower to retain 99.99 % silver
To me its a modern commemorative and would be good with that set if you are building one.
Jason Floyd
I climb Mountains , Grow Bamboo and like Coins

alefzero

Post by alefzero » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:25 pm

They are just modern commemoratives. Like all of the other modern commemoratives, the grading services will grade and slab them. Not sure how PCGS and NGC might roll them into registry sets. At the SSDC, they naturally will be added to the main commemorative set and will have a special set, like we do for the Lafayette dollar. Initially, we need to see if there are any discernable die varieties to call out. It is harder to deal with that after a bunch of them get registered.

I plan on taking my October-ish deliveries directly to PCGS to pick up graded at FUN. A few of us there will review each coin to see if there are any interesting features. Anyone who is hip on the typical variations and die state issues with large format modern Mint commemoratives might chime in with tips on specific things to look for. Hub and die preparation and minting practices are different a century later.

SilverToken

Post by SilverToken » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:34 pm

The O mint was sold from the mint at the same 10 per household as the CC, but seems to auction @ 2/3's the price of the CC, so it's still wonky on the Ebay!

Actually saw one seller have set, 1 of each 4 privy's on Ebay, sold at $1,000. Think there will be XXXX hitting the fan in October!

DHalladay

Post by DHalladay » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:35 pm

alefzero wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:25 pm
A few of us there will review each coin to see if there are any interesting features. Anyone who is hip on the typical variations and die state issues with large format modern Mint commemoratives might chime in with tips on specific things to look for. Hub and die preparation and minting practices are different a century later.

That would be most helpful!
I'm hoping/dreaming for scribbles on the P-mint coins! :D
When in doubt... don't.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:58 pm

alefzero wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:25 pm
I plan on taking my October-ish deliveries directly to PCGS to pick up graded at FUN. A few of us there will review each coin to see if there are any interesting features. Anyone who is hip on the typical variations and die state issues with large format modern Mint commemoratives might chime in with tips on specific things to look for. Hub and die preparation and minting practices are different a century later.
I doubt much of any interest will be found. About all we can hope for is some minor single-squeeze doubling, which tends to show up in the center of the coin. These being commemoratives, however, I'll be extra care was taken to prevent or avoid this.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

SilverToken

Post by SilverToken » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:35 pm

Anyone noticing that the 2021 cc privy's are cracking $500 each on Ebay? It's crazy.

DHalladay

Post by DHalladay » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:34 pm

SilverToken wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:35 pm
Anyone noticing that the 2021 cc privy's are cracking $500 each on Ebay? It's crazy.

I've also noticed that. It's becoming somewhat regular too. :o
When in doubt... don't.

JASONKFLO

Post by JASONKFLO » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:43 pm

I imagine those prices will come down . I just hope one of my O’s or Phillies has a clashed E haha
Jason Floyd
I climb Mountains , Grow Bamboo and like Coins

RogerB

Post by RogerB » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:04 pm

DHalladay wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:16 pm
1. CCs are more valuable because they're CCs. And having been sold with a maximum of 10 per household instead of 3 means they got into fewer hands, so there are more hands that want/need to buy them on the secondary market.

2. I don't think they'll be regarded as a regular issue Morgan, but as a commemorative. But that's just a guess; I'm eager to find out the answer myself.

3. Of course PCGS will grade them. The only question is how many bull---- special label and designation add-on$ they decide to come up with.

4. I don't think the Mint will make them a continuing series... at least I strongly hope not.
Agree. Just pointless fluff, and certainly no place in a set of real coins.