1921 Denver Fun 'self-healer dies' Hypothesis:

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
Geseas

1921 Denver Fun 'self-healer dies' Hypothesis:

Post by Geseas » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:30 pm

Hello Everyone,

I have been looking at the Bean Bottom S page for help attributing my 3 1921-D Morgans, that you folks must be getting sick of looking at. (I almost am.) It got me wondering:

"As you increase a die usage, i.e. continue to use worn-out dies; do you run the risk of healing existing die cracks in the die and then creating anew, maybe close by and similar?"

Has this subject been touched on anywhere? Any thoughts are appreciated.

vampicker

Re: 1921 Denver Fun 'self-healer dies' Hypothesis:

Post by vampicker » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:04 pm

No. Dies do not 'heal'. At best, shallow cracks can be polished out. An example is found on the reverse of the 78 VAM 44 versus the later use in the VAM 33 marriage.
But die wear just won't produce what you're describing. It's likely you have a couple of different varieties that are similar.
often the crusher of hopes and dreams

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:01 am

Very fine cracks can become blurred by die wear if they don't grow first. They can also be polished out. Most cracks become dubious "displaced field" cracks.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

Geseas

Post by Geseas » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:00 pm

I think I may have gone a bit overboard with ' the self-healing die' on the subject line.
Understanding something by examinating it at the micro/nano level is not what Leroy is after.

@CascadeChris told me here all you need is a 10x loupe. That may be the proper direction...
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

RogerB

Post by RogerB » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:07 pm

As a die wears, small cracks usually expand. But if the alloy boundaries and crystals are unusually distorted, the crack might appear to close or become obscured as the die face continued to deform. Radial Z-axis displacement can also merge with invisible cracks. Eventually, a visible "starburst" effect becomes apparent which would wipe out details of design and surface cracking.

As other mentioned, the crack never "heals" or reestablishes an original crystal matrix.

Yes, 10X is all you need.

vamtiques

Post by vamtiques » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:39 am

Now this is interesting, as in regards to my just now posts on my 1904-O dollar, as in it matches some of the characteristics of the vam-30 series, but many of the pics on this site for this vam don't actually match my specimen, leading to a hypothetical EDS or VLDS of either this vam, or it could be a brand new vam pickup here. There are some very interesting thoughts here which apply to said 1904-O.
Messydesk's response seems likely in this case for die wear? But if the reverse is prooflike, then would that notch out of existence those tiny die scratches from the reverse photos on this site?

Geseas

Post by Geseas » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:43 pm

@vamtiques Thank you for your interest in this topic. I would like to continue by starting a new thread from a different perspective. Thank you for your patience and knowledge. I learn a lot here from you folks; not just the coins.