1879 O Reverse clash help

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
demetri

Re: 1879 O Reverse clash help

Post by demetri » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:50 pm

GOT IT, all great advice, much thanks to everyone. It is already on its way to JR at ANACS today will post the results when I get it back. Im so excited to be a new member of this community, thanks to all, just the best advice from people who care. Couldn't do it without ya

D

demetri

Post by demetri » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:59 pm

Update:

VAM-29 - No letter transfer, so clash was irrelevant to attribution.

Noted: Doubled reverse hub like the 78 C3b dies but listing was prior to discovery of working dies from 78 hub for this date. Piece is consistent with the 1 Van Allen plate from the 1999 update and the images on VAM World. It would be helpful to send this example to Van Allen for a possible revision noting the reverse and additional obverse images.

IMO Great attribution but I have no clue what it means LOL. Steep learning curve here so Im guessing it means its not a new VAM and I guess I should send it to Leroy Van Allen to update the c3b die pair related to the already listed VAM. At least it is a contribution to VAMs. The start to my VAM hunting days. I would never have guessed VAM 29, I didn't see it so he must have magic in his eyes LOL.

Anyone care to guess what this coin graded?? I was surprised..........

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:36 pm

Yeah, it took a while to come up with VAM 29. The clashing is strong, but not quite strong enough for letter transfer. The reverse doubling is pretty bold (particularly on the U of UNITED) and I went thru all the listings that note this feature. No match, but that doesn't necessarily make it new. The link to the 78 C3b hub wouldn't be noted in older listings. There's the close spread on the stars, cap edge and lettering as well as the repunching on the date.
It's the kind of coin that could easily lead to a duplicate listing. It's worth the time, effort and expense to send the piece to Van Allen to either revise and update VAM 29 or disagree with me and call it something else.
Regardless of outcome, if you've been bitten by the VAM bug, that first letter to Leroy is often more of a treasure than the coin that prompts it.
often the crusher of hopes and dreams

demetri

Post by demetri » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:55 pm

Thanks vampicker,

I didn't see ANY doubling AT ALL so I cant wait to get the coin back to look myself LOL I am really impressed at the notes you left, really appreciate it too bec I HAVE been bitten by VAM bug for sure LOL and this is PRICELESS to me. Your assessment is so invaluable to me, its a great start to my VAM hunting, starting with the Morgans in my own collection.

Grading is something I just cant follow though, every time I think I can grade a coin, I get slapped LOL. That must be just as hard as VAM picking since I see MS64 and MS65 coins with lots of chatter too so a low grade surprised me a bit. I was pretty sure at least a 63. I wish they left notes like you did for the grade like exactly what brought it down. So once again I think I had the grade and bingo, I dont know a dang thing Ha Ha but Im hopeful I will get better with grading as time goes on.

So I do want to send it to Mr Van Allen even if it is not a new VAM, not to second guess, but I am pleased I can contribute something as a novice. Just not sure of the procedure, do I send a letter first?? or just mail the coin WITH a letter. Do I send it certified or anything, do I need to give him a heads up? Im going to research sending Mr Van Allen my coin next but any advice you can offer is appreciated so I dont screw it up LOL.

Thanks again and Im sure I will be bugging you again soon :D

D

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:51 pm

This page should be helpful. Be sure to include return shipping in addition to his fee. He's 86 years old now and isn't as fast as he used to be. Still sharp as a tack though...

http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.compu ... _Varieties
often the crusher of hopes and dreams