VAMs and NFTs

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
HawkeEye

VAMs and NFTs

Post by HawkeEye » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:56 pm

A question for those who are more knowledgeable than I am on NFTs might go something like this. But looking at the prices on the Jack Lee coins (real or imagined) made me wonder.....

Is there a unique combination of Grade-Certification-Provenance-VAM etc. that would allow someone to create an NFT based Morgan? I know many here have worked a lifetime to amass nice collections and might need to retire their sets in a way that pays them back for the time and effort.

Maybe a JB question?
Deep in the woods of North Georgia

HawkeEye

Re: VAMs and NFTs

Post by HawkeEye » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:50 am

Having slept on this there might just be an NTF opportunity for us and for one of the TPGs. The VAM Discovery Coins are unique without regard to grade. Those coins certified by the TPG and validated by Leroy and John are not only NTF worthy but a big advertisement for the hobby.

mark

Post by mark » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:51 pm

I was literally discussing starting an Ether token for coin collecting /NFTs with a friend a couple of weeks ago.. He thought I was crazy. Glad I'm not the only one! Very interested to hear others perspectives.

HawkeEye

Post by HawkeEye » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:25 am

I don't think it is crazy, especially for one of a kind specialties. There are things that make a coin unique and we intuitively know that the uniqueness has value, we just don't often think out of the box.

I think a partnership with the ANA/ANACS for the VAM discovery coins would make VAMing more visible and the number of discovery coins is relatively small compared to the sum of Morgans out there.

blh74

Post by blh74 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:20 am

Excuse me. What is NFT?

DurhamJnKY

Post by DurhamJnKY » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:29 am

A non-fungible token. It is essentially a one-of-a-kind item.

HawkeEye

Post by HawkeEye » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:23 pm

And in the VAM world I can only think of one thing that is one of a kind and that is the discovery coin for each VAM, but maybe there are more. Coins that were certified as part of the Sunnywood Toned collection might be another.

blh74

Post by blh74 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:50 pm

DurhamJnKY wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:29 am
A non-fungible token. It is essentially a one-of-a-kind item.
Thanks for the reply. I googled NFT definition. It appears to me like an investment scam for crytocurrecy.

HawkeEye

Post by HawkeEye » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:13 am

Thanks for the reply. I googled NFT definition. It appears to me like an investment scam for crytocurrecy.
I think there are some crazy uses that are scams (or just dumb people) like the artist who had never sold a painting for more than $300 and pushed a digital one for $60 million+. That is either a major scam, the luckiest guy in the world, or a really dumb set of billionaire buyers.

But the underlying technology has some promise, like the difference between blockchain and cryptocurrencies. One is a technology and the other, depending on your point of view, is a fiat scam. I don't want to be guilty of seeing a new technology emerge and not paying attention at a real use.

We have a lot of people here who have worked decades to research and amass collections that if left up to others will be sold at our death for pennies on the dollar. I am at least trying to read up and learn about the correct use of NFT's to see if that concept holds any promise for preserving the value of a lot of effort. It may be nothing more than a good research project, but I will know more at the end.

blh74

Post by blh74 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:41 am

I like your idea of preserving the value of a persons collection. Perhaps there is a better, simpler way.

HawkeEye

Post by HawkeEye » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:12 pm

Well I am certainly open to any suggestions. If we had a library or repository I would probably donate my work in the end (hopefully a way off in the future). But we are a small group and the continuity of our work is dependent on members and a few key people like JB. Perhaps a partnership with someone like the ANA who has a broader mission is an option.

But my NFT idea has to do with preserving truly rare and/or unique items in a way that rewards our efforts and provides benefit to the wider collecting community. I plan to pass it by JB soon and see what he thinks.