1922-P Peace Dollar---Wing Die Break and numerous die chips/gouges?

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
LateDateMorganGuy

Re: 1922-P Peace Dollar---Wing Die Break and numerous die chips/gouges?

Post by LateDateMorganGuy » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:16 am

I'm in the PMD camp for both the topic questions. While photo lighting can play tricks, it looks to me like this "investment" coin went thru a fire. Maybe what you see as raised dots are planchet bubbles that expanded in the heat of the fire. As far as the break you are looking at, it looks to me to be fortuitous placed PMD hit from another coin.

That is just my assessment without having the coin in hand. I wouldn't plan on getting anything more than melt value for it in the future, no pun intended 8-)

ATLcollector

Post by ATLcollector » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:26 am

Kenny, as you have indicated, we can only speculate as to whether what we see is a mint error, or PMD. As to both issues--the wing die break and the numerous die chips/gouges, who would you take/send the coin to for an expert opinion?

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:34 am

Looks like it's been flogged. Gouges like that put into a coin will "crater" as the metal at the edges gets pushed up. I don't see anything I'd call a die break or chip.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

...kenny

Post by ...kenny » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:45 am

IMHO...Messydesk...kenny
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my.........Ahh........Uhmm........something, something, something..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

ATLcollector

Post by ATLcollector » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:58 pm

messydesk wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:34 am
Looks like it's been flogged. Gouges like that put into a coin will "crater" as the metal at the edges gets pushed up. I don't see anything I'd call a die break or chip.
Thanks messydesk. I’ve examined this coin several more times under a scope and am now convinced these are not die breaks or chips. Thanks Kenny, longstrider and all others who responded for your helpful comments.

Kurt28

Post by Kurt28 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:21 pm

Don't know about the coin, but I am impressed with your photos.
Do you work at a crime lab?

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:44 pm

It's all damage. The 'wing break' is a reed mark. It has been hit right near the edge of one of the feather rows with the reeding of another dollar.
The 'chips' are deliberate damage - period. The cause is irrelevant, but some hardened implement had been jabbed into the reverse repeatedly. The crater effect is clearly visible in the images whether you think it's raised or not. The look is similar to, but not an exact match to what happens when you shoot a coin with a BB gun.
often the crusher of hopes and dreams

VamHelsing

Post by VamHelsing » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:46 pm

Yup, PMD all the way

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:01 pm

It's worth adding that further examination of the coin made the original poster look at the coin differently. If you can re-evaluate based on others experienced opinions then this piece may be the most valuable 'variety' you'll ever encounter.
often the crusher of hopes and dreams

ATLcollector

Post by ATLcollector » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:13 pm

vampicker wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:01 pm
It's worth adding that further examination of the coin made the original poster look at the coin differently. If you can re-evaluate based on others experienced opinions then this piece may be the most valuable 'variety' you'll ever encounter.
Great observation Vampicker. I thought I knew what I was seeing in my initial evaluation of this coin--which turned out to be incorrect. Yes, this was a valuable educational experience. So glad to have VAMworld as a resource. Thanks to all who have responded!

ATLcollector

Post by ATLcollector » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:27 pm

Kurt28 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:21 pm
Don't know about the coin, but I am impressed with your photos.
Do you work at a crime lab?
No, but my real name is Bruce Wayne and I view my coins in a large cave. :lol:
Seriously, thanks for the comment. I am just a coin fanatic. I previously used a Plugable digital scope, but found that it was cumbersome to use and did not provide the quality of photos I was looking for. I have upgraded to a Tomlov scope with a mini-screen--and I use Debut Video for the photographing.