Re: Guess the grade

Post by JASONKFLO » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:57 am

that got a grader on a good day , still a nice coin but looks 64 to me
Jason Floyd
I climb Mountains , Grow Bamboo and like Coins

Stlcoin

Post by Stlcoin » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:27 am

I always say with TPG's, it depends on the day of the week & how good the graders coffee was that morning. I would have put this Morgan at MS63/64 at best, way too baggy. I just saw a 1982P JFK Half w/ No "FG" Reverse, was graded as a MS64, it literally looked like XF Details, it was badly scratched, dinged, dull, dark with the weakest Reverse I have seen. based on it, 5-6 of my raw 82 No "FG's" would be MS68/69's! It seems that the TPG's have just become an expensive coin capsule....sad. This does reassert the adage of "Buy the coin, not the holder...."

Stlcoin

Post by Stlcoin » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:25 pm

Here is an early post I put on the eBay boards last year when it came out. Check this out & Guess the Grade...

Just saw this on NGC's website : https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/76 ... r-planchet - If you can go here, check the enlarged images and please tell me how NGC would encapsulate a severely scratched, damaged and cleaned coin plus gives it an AU-50 grade without Net Qualifiers or better yet a Body Bag? Yeah, it's cool & probably a one of a kind error specimen but calling an apparent Fine-VF, scratched, damaged and cleaned coin AU-50 is against every grading standard ever established. Not to mention they plan on auctioning this off in Sept on Great Collections. I'd like to hear your input...

Albannach

Post by Albannach » Fri May 14, 2021 2:24 pm

Late, but...
At first read and saw the pics, I said 65, to myself (based on PCGS photograde, it "makes" it. When I got to the bottom I went back to the holder pics...I would leave it where it is, Maybe a bit different in hand, but I think 64 is more appropriate for it, WTF are the "spots and that thing on the stra by her nose?
On the table at a show....buy the coin, not the holder...

pete$298

Post by pete$298 » Sat May 15, 2021 3:02 pm

DHalladay wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:41 pm
Looks to be awesome lustre on this VAM 3AM2. Good luck:

NGC obv.jpg

NGC rev.jpg
If you had found it raw what would your grade have been and what would your reasoning have been? Sort of looks like the grader graded a nice coin and carried it around in their pocket with their keys before putting it in a holder?

DHalladay

Post by DHalladay » Sat May 15, 2021 3:08 pm

I'd have been torn between MS63 (lots of marks in on the cheek, although they are admittedly on the frost) and MS64 (great lustre). But since I am a total geek about lustre, I'd have probably gone with 64. No way 65; just too much visual distraction in the worst possible area for it to be a gem in my opinion.
When in doubt... don't.