OT: Upheaval in the card world

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
DHalladay

OT: Upheaval in the card world

Post by DHalladay » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:25 pm

We in the coin universe might be interested to know about the mayhem that has been going on lately in the sports and trading card world – specifically at PSA, the card grading brother of PCGS. It is something to keep in mind whenever we think the cost of grading our coins is too high.

In 2020, Covid-19 and people staying at home triggered a MASSIVE (I can’t add enough exclamation points to adequately express the scale) tidal wave of submissions – one that has never let up and in fact has continued to grow despite 2 grading price increases in 2020 and a virtual doubling of rates in March this year.

Last week (March 22) Collectors Universe President and CEO Joe Orlando sent out a message that included two jaw-dropping comments:

“At the time of this writing, PSA was receiving more cards every five days (over 500,000 per business week) than what we used to receive every three months.” And, "our immense backlog, which currently totals several million cards…”

Yesterday (March 30) PSA President Steve Sloan sent out an even more jaw-dropping email to collectors saying that effective immediately PSA is no longer accepting submissions for anything but the most expensive tiers, so it can work its way through the backlog of orders. He said PSA hopes to be able to restore lower-tier service levels by July 1.

$300 is now the cheapest price to get a card graded at the #1 grading company (and there is no turnaround time guarantee), as shown in this screenshot from the PSA website:

$300 min PSA.jpg
$300 min PSA.jpg (95.23 KiB) Viewed 2191 times
Last edited by DHalladay on Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When in doubt... don't.

bob259

Re: OT: Upheaval in the card world

Post by bob259 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:24 pm

Interesting! I was once a sports card dealer but the market fell some years ago and I quit. Then the grading took off and people went nuts. It, too, will fall off with these prices and the number being graded. Just two days ago I had compiled everything I had left including several thousand Topps cards from the 80s and early 90s. Advertised them and a guy came and bought everything I had for one nice fat lump sum. He was so excited about sending in many for grading. I believe that when he finds out the prices he will be so disappointed and as the graded flood the market the price will drop dramatically. I was glad to get rid of them at a decent price.

impairedsquirrel

Post by impairedsquirrel » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:30 pm

Triggered also by a mega-boom in card values. 6ish years ago I started looking into cards again after a long break and, to my surprise, many of the top rookies from my youth (Griffey, Frank Thomas, Barry Sanders, etc.) were selling dirt cheap even in certified gem holders, so I started picking them off here and there. Just as surprising was over this winter when I started noticing sales prices. Needless to say I sold most of those cards at 6-8x what I paid for them. I figure I’ll load back up when the market drops out again.
I had an ungraded Topps (ei. plain Jane) Aaron Rodgers rookie , which I would never give $2 for (yeah, I know him, just not a big fan...). Threw it on eBay and sold it for $180!
*where’s the shit eating grin emoji???
I go totally NUTS for WOW! VAMs!! Or is that from WOW! VAMs?

impairedsquirrel

Post by impairedsquirrel » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:35 pm

Bob, the graded market already tanked... BIGTIME... several years ago. This is the resurgence!
Seriously, if you have any graded or nice rcs of any of the 80s-90s megastars it may be worth digging them out. Been selling crappy set rcs of guys like Rodgers, M. Trout and Steph Curry for $60, $80, $180 ea. and if you have ANY Tom Brady rookies, fuhget about it! To think of all the Brady rookies I threw out with the rest of the “commons” back then...
I go totally NUTS for WOW! VAMs!! Or is that from WOW! VAMs?

...kenny

Post by ...kenny » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:09 am

Brining this to the top for several reasons. Some of you know me personally, some of you know me from the forum and some don't know me at all!... :lol:
I started doing VAMs in 2009 thanks in part to JR. Before that, I collected coins, cars, licenses plates and cards. License plates since 2001, cars since 1987, coins since 1976 and sports cards since 1967(yea, I'm old!). I, like some have been very upset with what has happened with PSA, SGC and others. Not just the cost, but wait time is the worst! Some of you may remember when PSA first hit the scene, I was in the business in a B/M with my father in law, we/people said "I don't need to pay someone to tell ME what grade my card is, I know the grade of my card!" Well, look at them now!
Personally, I've found an alternative. I've connected with a new grading company, and I've spent time with the founders. I researched their knowledge through conversation and even went with them to a card show in Augusta, Me. The reception they received was eye opening. People/collectors are dying to get their cards graded, as am I. In the short period of time they have been accepting submissions, business has been great. After some indepth conversation and giving them my 2 Cents on business idea's/applications they have asked me to join the team. I've accepted, I see them rising fast in the industry. Pricing is spot on, return time 'CANNOT be beat' and the grading, TOUGH!!! So, I'm sure you're going to ask ' how are sales vs PSA...Well, about 2/3 of them right now, actually some sale equal!---Not Bad for a company who has been grading cards for the public just over 2 months!!!
The name of the company is 'The Grading Authority'...They are on the internet, facebook and instagram. Nothing to lose, and everything to gain. My Bobby Orr's and Ted Williams are being done, I trust them that much!!! Reach out to me if you need more info. Thanks for your time...kenny
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my.........Ahh........Uhmm........something, something, something..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

JackBnimble01

Post by JackBnimble01 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:35 am

Last edited by JackBnimble01 on Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:10 am, edited 6 times in total.

...kenny

Post by ...kenny » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:47 am

You're right about the centering!...kenny
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my.........Ahh........Uhmm........something, something, something..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stlcoin

Post by Stlcoin » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:19 am

DHalladay wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:25 pm
We in the coin universe might be interested to know about the mayhem that has been going on lately in the sports and trading card world – specifically at PSA, the card grading brother of PCGS. It is something to keep in mind whenever we think the cost of grading our coins is too high.

In 2020, Covid-19 and people staying at home triggered a MASSIVE (I can’t add enough exclamation points to adequately express the scale) tidal wave of submissions – one that has never let up and in fact has continued to grow despite 2 grading price increases in 2020 and a virtual doubling of rates in March this year.

Last week (March 22) Collectors Universe President and CEO Joe Orlando sent out a message that included two jaw-dropping comments:

“At the time of this writing, PSA was receiving more cards every five days (over 500,000 per business week) than what we used to receive every three months.” And, "our immense backlog, which currently totals several million cards…”

Yesterday (March 30) PSA President Steve Sloan sent out an even more jaw-dropping email to collectors saying that effective immediately PSA is no longer accepting submissions for anything but the most expensive tiers, so it can work its way through the backlog of orders. He said PSA hopes to be able to restore lower-tier service levels by July 1.

$300 is now the cheapest price to get a card graded at the #1 grading company (and there is no turnaround time guarantee), as shown in this screenshot from the PSA website:

$300 min PSA.jpg
That is exactly why my High Grade 1968 Topps Set is ungraded!

HawkeEye

Post by HawkeEye » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:29 pm

I still think there is an opportunity to make VAM Discovery Coins something like NFTs
Deep in the woods of North Georgia

pup_picker

Post by pup_picker » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:14 am

...kenny wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:09 am
The name of the company is 'The Grading Authority'...They are on the internet, facebook and instagram. Nothing to lose, and everything to gain. My Bobby Orr's and Ted Williams are being done, I trust them that much!!! Reach out to me if you need more info. Thanks for your time...kenny
i watched a video on youtube a while back of a new one where the founder gave a walk-through of their new offices, lunch room, grading room etc. and he seemed personable and well-spoken. the offices were a bit in upheaval which the founder didn't mind as progress was being made. gave a nice warm welcoming vibe.

i have no cards, none to grade but i like to keep my ear to the ground.

lioncutter

Post by lioncutter » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:41 pm

...kenny wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:09 am
After some indepth conversation and giving them my 2 Cents on business idea's/applications they have asked me to join the team. I've accepted,
Kenny, congrats on your new gig. Hope you keep us up to date on how it goes. :)
I may not be the best, but I do not know anyone better.

...kenny

Post by ...kenny » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:00 pm

TY! I will of course let the VAMmers know how good it is!!!... :lol:
They posted a pic of one of my TW cards on FB!... :D

Kurt28

Post by Kurt28 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:22 am

Off topic but of interest.
I don't collect cards, but I enjoy learning.
I find VAMmers educated, and diverse in their outside interests.
Thanks for sharing.

RogerB

Post by RogerB » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:03 pm

Interesting and disappointing.
All I have from childhood is a small box with some unopened bubblegum packs from the 1950s. Hey! Maybe there's a famous Joe DiMaggio-Marilyn Monroe card in there. He had quite a batting average!
;)

...kenny

Post by ...kenny » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:45 pm

Actually Roger, there's a VERY BIG market for those un-opened packs! DON'T open them!!!...kenny