Database of 'stolen' or missing coins?

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
keilg1

Database of 'stolen' or missing coins?

Post by keilg1 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:45 pm

The post recently about coins being stolen in the mail got me looking into the Numismatic Crime Information Center (http://numismaticcrimes.org/) and/or other resources available to those of us who love the hobby but can't stand dealing with the people who are desperate enough, or deluded enough, to justify their actions of taking what isn't theirs.

Not to debate the psychosocial and pathological issues behind their actions (although being a neuroscientist my entire professional career I would LOVE to chat about them), I would like to pose a question to the wider VAM family of what we can do to help each other to prevent, fight, resolve, etc. this problem. It might not be a 'big' problem, as I have no idea how many coins are mailed each day and how many succumb to problems, but the size isn't so much at issue to me: If I were to lose any of my 'treasure finds' or those given to me from my father decades ago, I would be significantly impacted.

I do not want to create work for anyone without volunteering my own energy so would be glad to explore the creation of a database that would allow the easy tracking and information exchange of lost/stolen/misplaced coins. Perhaps only slabbed coins will be do-able, and even then people can crack them out of holders, etc. but if we have pictures of toning patterns, etc. we might be able to match up even those coins in the future?

Absolutely do NOT claim to be the expert here, and this might not be easily done - but most of the things in life that are worth doing are worth the pain to get them done?

Thoughts from the wider community?

Warmly from the UK,

Gary
Gary Redfeather, PhD, RPh

https://www.linkedin.com/in/drgarykeil/

Click https://gjkeil2-82005.medium.com/our-lo ... 485d6cf0a5 to read the backstory of my surname change

vamsterdam

Re: Database of 'stolen' or missing coins?

Post by vamsterdam » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:58 pm

taking pictures of our coins makes identification easier. contact marks, toning, ,strike, lustre, v/variety number . if the fbi can identify fingerprints, coins ought to be easier.

keilg1

Post by keilg1 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:16 pm

@vamsterdam ,

Absolutely agree that pictures would be invaluable. Very do-able now, too, because Dinolite or other microscopes are dirt cheap and the resolution of the pictures can easily fingerprint any one coin better than before.

I think this would be hugely valuable even if coins are broken out of an original holder they could be traced back to an original - all that would be needed is the paper trail of sales and the perps (as they say) can be nabbed and dealt with?

Appreciate the thoughts. Surprised there isn't any more input on something that I'd think would be of interest to many more. Again, I don't know how widespread the problem is but bet it'd only take one personal loss to increase the interest. Unfortunately.

Gary

Click https://gjkeil2-82005.medium.com/our-lo ... 485d6cf0a5 to read the backstory of my surname change

Vam-mysterio

Post by Vam-mysterio » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:34 pm

Database for stolen/missing coins
Sounds like a great idea 👍

keilg1

Post by keilg1 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:24 pm

Who amongst the VAM goddesses and gods would/should be involved with this - or is it likely to go by the wayside as a good thought left unrealized?

I'm happy to help although my IS/IT skills are somewhat limited. I'll promise to make up the deficit with humor.

;-)

Flat-Chested

Post by Flat-Chested » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:33 pm

Please dedicate the new database to my missing 1878-S VAM-60.

Tennessee

Post by Tennessee » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:16 pm

Kinda like a face Recognition for coins. Maybe putting a lazer eched serial number on the individual coin.

Geseas

Post by Geseas » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:53 pm

Tennessee wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:16 pm
Kinda like a face Recognition for coins. Maybe putting a lazer eched serial number on the individual coin.
I think you are right, photos taken here 'are' that lazer.

Geseas

Post by Geseas » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:17 pm

keilg1 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:24 pm
Who amongst the VAM goddesses and gods would/should be involved with this - or is it likely to go by the wayside as a good thought left unrealized?

I'm happy to help although my IS/IT skills are somewhat limited. I'll promise to make up the deficit with humor.

;-)
@keilg1
Thank you Doctor for your thought provoking posts.

My wife just said I am acting like a god around here. I am hoping this qualifies. :D
Here is a thought on this subject: I have been trying to add this to your thread: (just the screenshot here)
Screenshot 2021-02-16 at 2.35.09 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2021-02-16 at 2.35.09 PM.jpg (26.11 KiB) Viewed 1806 times
(It may be only available when starting a new thread...)

How would you word a survey like this to determine just how many coins are being lost? ....you would be just polling Vamworld members.

I have never lost anything using USPS; nor have I shipped or received a lot with USPS.

keilg1

Post by keilg1 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:46 am

@Geseas - we're all deities in our own minds. Mostly when we're teenagers and invincible... Ah, I remember the 1970s and 80s well - well, not really because of the music, drinking, and...

Oops, diversion over.

I like the idea of a poll - yet don't know if it's necessary? As is true of health and disease, it's not a thoroughly believed issue for most until the health goes away and the disease hits. I suspect the topic of theft will be the same - most not believing it an issue until it hits. And I believe when it does (as it might have for me), it hits hard.

My hope is to simply create it for folks, providing a mechanism for us all to use and share. Perhaps linked to the SSDC database so that we can have coins being registered be flagged as potentially stolen at some point -- raising the value add of being an SSDC member in the process?

This could also raise awareness that we should each 'fingerprint' any coin we really value by taking close-up photos that might differentiate our special coins from the others that are similar VAMs. Digital/portable microscopes (like DinoLite) are dirt cheap as is the storage of the high-resolution photos on our PCs so there is no cost hurdle to do this for most.

And the potential benefit for us all might be great if potential thieves know we have the mechanism to better catch them?

Laws are, after all, designed not to just punish those who do the crimes but to deter those who'd probably not do them...

Sorry to not answer the question about a poll question but I'd suggest we focus our divine powers on the database?

Warmly and looking forward to getting this a reality if it's desired,

Gary

Geseas

Post by Geseas » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:01 pm

@keilg1

You have flushed out my underlying reasons for mentioning this poll option thing within your thread.

A poll is powerful tool with a variety of applications including a possible use here with this data quest. It seems rarely used in Vamworld and when it is used, there is very little participation. I wonder why that is?

I also am curious about theft of valuables in the USPS. You mentioned a possible theft; I understand if you would rather not elaborate. Are these thefts happening at the ends of the package journey, or in the middle?... It if very likely you shouldn't divide a 'package journey' that way.

...Music is first on my list of diversions also; even way back then. :D

Thanks for this opportunity to comment!

keilg1

Post by keilg1 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:02 pm

Thanks, again, mate.

I do not want to stand in the way of information gathering so please feel free to generate a poll. I'd love to hear how many folks have had issues, how many are worried about having items stolen, what they do or might do if the unfortunate happened/happens, and what they would think would be a valuable service to help (and how much they'd be willing to pay to access it - as it costs to develop and maintain such a database).

Could ask if they'd be interested in joining SSDC to 'really' join the VAM world, and the benefits of the club - in addition to access to the database in question.

There are a lot more questions that could be asked - I'm a clinician but a researcher, too, so always asking more and more and more questions. Just like a 2-year old, I tend to drive people around me crazy with my incessant questions...

Please do feel free to create... and post the link here or create a new one in the discussion board.

Odd, for sure, that some things go unanswered/unaddressed in this discussion board, while some things generate a whirlwind of activity. I have my arm-chair psychologist views on why but don't think they'd be well received (well, at least not as well received as they might if we were all sitting around drinking at a nice pub somewhere together).

I would add that until we (you, me, and others) hear from the (un)official VAMWorld leaders that this is desired, we should accept that we'll need to ask for forgiveness (eventually) which, to me, is always better than permission?

Thanks again,

Gary