1922-P collar and shoulder clashes:

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
User avatar
pup_picker
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:31 pm

Re: 1922-P collar and shoulder clashes:

Post by pup_picker » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:24 am

Geseas wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:15 pm
If you don't I am going to figure out how to send this ugly coin to Leroy. :popcorn:
he isn't going to like that coin with gunk and will probably reject it.

have you looked these lists over?

http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.compu ... ttribution

http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.compu ... llar_Clash

Geseas
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:49 am
Location: West Michigan

Re: 1922-P collar and shoulder clashes:

Post by Geseas » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:32 pm

pup_picker wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:24 am
Geseas wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:15 pm
If you don't I am going to figure out how to send this ugly coin to Leroy. :popcorn:
he isn't going to like that coin with gunk and will probably reject it.

have you looked these lists over?

http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.compu ... ttribution

http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.compu ... llar_Clash
Thank you pup_picker. I had not seen that second link. That led me to the Madd Clashers site. Wow, a whole bunch of interesting stuff there but, I find myself now looking at the Morgan Stanley Dollar Crash...Something completely unrelated to what I was after.
This new computer knows me and then sets out to weaken 'my will.' IMO. @crabscrape makes a good point above in this post:

That ability to stay focused, especially in this world; is my take.

Finding a particular photo is not that easy. I can't expect Leroy to have every photo;

My thinking now Is: 'A photograph of any Peace Dollars full reverse that has both a collar clash and a shoulder spike--just does not exist.' That makes this photo here of the coin we are looking at:
GCS3766.jpg
GCS3766.jpg (239.89 KiB) Viewed 274 times
...A very rare Bird, Indeed! :roll:
Last edited by Geseas on Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
pup_picker
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:31 pm

Re: 1922-P collar and shoulder clashes:

Post by pup_picker » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:12 am

Geseas wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:32 pm
just because you said you wanted to see a collar clash and shoulder clash. 8-)

http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.compu ... -P_VAM-2U1
http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.compu ... &width=855

do you know about the supplements? how about the big morgan/peace books?

leroy often refers to those when we send him coins already listed. i'm not saying yours is.

your trying to run this down here is appreciated and often the more effective/efficient method. :D

for posterity, i didn't read the entire thread again but will say that the shoulder clashes between 3a and 41a are different enough to not be confused. 3a has quite a curvature to where the come close to meeting at the shoulder.

i'm not the authority and i don't have the books or supplements but based on the images here and the responses or lack thereof, you probably would be well served getting that goup off before sending to leroy as there is a 99% chance he will be sending it back telling you the same thing. maybe you'll squeeze into the 1% but i'd never send him a coin like that, especially these days.

if it does go out, let us know as i think you have a winner. i'd be pretty surprised if the 41a dc has a collar clash, even a minor one that he didn't mention.

Geseas
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:49 am
Location: West Michigan

Re: 1922-P collar and shoulder clashes:

Post by Geseas » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:38 pm

Yes, there it is! A 1922-p with both spikes and collar. Seems to be a lot of that Collar Clash in photo too.
Screenshot 2021-01-28 at 4.13.25 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2021-01-28 at 4.13.25 PM.jpg (187.18 KiB) Viewed 260 times
http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.compu ... &width=855
...a 12 o'clock, 4 to 8?

Hiding in plain sight... Thanks again @pup_picker. I looked at that link 10 times and never clicked forward to see that reverse picture... its my 'I already know so much attitude' rearing its ugly head... Prevents me from seeing that whole coin.

I wouldn't send anything to Leroy without VSS taking a look first. It just seems like the right thing to do.

The acetone is working on gunk.... It seems to slowly reduce the gunks surface to powdery residue you can brush away after an overnight soak and an air-dry. If you leave the powdery residue on the coins surface in solution the reaction seems to slow down or even stop. I have been repeating this cycle and removing a dust layer at a time. This method seems very gentle on the all already exposed silver surfaces; Time will tell.
It kind of looks like you could almost pick chunks of the stuff off with 'the perfect' tool but you may risk coin damage... if you didn't know what your doing. (I don't) I tried a different very thin made hardwood reed thing as a pry bar, and removed a few chunks. The 'thorns' seemed to fat at the tips. If you sanded them thinner they lost their strength and became too wimpy. Then, they would skate over the hardened surface, not catching that 'edge'. The gunk is a hardened, stiff, plastic-like residue. I would not say it is paint-like. I am pretending this is a MS coin, for some practice. I took a series of photos of this attempt at making this sad coin presentable for Leroy. :D An honor. I do not have much faith it will be sent. Not a good enough sample.
Here are a few more new photos of Obv. for record and because I enjoy learning to take photos: Another members post I followed here.
@Kurt28 viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3783&p=33056&hilit= ... ass#p33056
GCS3800.JPG
GCS3800.JPG (204.12 KiB) Viewed 223 times
The area around the engravers mark and above date is not my work.
It looks like someone's attempt at gunk removal from the past..
GCS3798.JPG
GCS3798.JPG (185.89 KiB) Viewed 223 times
As the gunk recedes and more coin is exposed the enlarging spaces seem similar to a cracked die progression series of photos I have seen here.

I do not have any coinbooks or their supplements in my possession. This is not a good thing. The "Big Book" has been recommended to me. I am in the dark without it. Speaking of dark... The good folks here have figured out I know little about Morgan scribbles and now I am here on the Dark Side where there aren't any scribbles, I don't think there are... Anyway. :D.....I am just kidding about this; but not that book. My only input, so far, has been Vamworld, it's good folks and were they send me seeking knowledge and oh ya, my Wife. Great Fun!

That scribble supplement/information would be a good study. I enjoy those Morgans.
Last edited by Geseas on Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:30 pm, edited 11 times in total.

User avatar
pup_picker
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:31 pm

Re: 1922-P collar and shoulder clashes:

Post by pup_picker » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:48 pm

Geseas wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:38 pm
I looked at that link 10 times and never clicked forward to see that reverse picture... its my 'I already know so much attitude' rearing its ugly head...
took me a while to notice those arrows for secondary images.

chasing down vam information, often rewarding and often exhausting and most often, staring us right in the face. ><

Post Reply