Is this actually a VAM?

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
Packrat6

Is this actually a VAM?

Post by Packrat6 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:39 am

Hi, let me introduce myself, I'm Bruce and new to this forum. Have had Morgans for about 30 years, but didn't know squat about VAMS until a friend started introducing me to them and brought me over here recently. Have identified several from my collection already, including several 1878's and 1879's. When I asked him about this coin, he told me he didn't know and to post it here so here goes.

I have a 1880-S that has a gouge in it that is knd of unusual. The gouge has to have been on the planchet as right over the top of it is stamped the "S" in Pluribus. I'll try to post a picture in a bit, but the gouge is pretty good sized and didn't know if it would be classified as a VAM or a lamination break or what. What is intriging to me is that the S, when looked at through a microscope steps down at the edge of the gouge and then slopes down. For it to step down, wouldn't the die have to break so the letter could continue to be stamped to the bottom of the gouge? The S, as you will see, is complete and looks normal until you get it under magnification. I tied loking through all of the VAMS you have listed for this year and the only other things I can find that even come close to a VAM is the 1 in 1880 is slightly doubled North at top and bottom, and could be strike doubled, I'm not sure, and there is a spike coming off of the eye about 2/3 up from the bottom of the eye. I've put a crude arrow on one of the pictures to show location as I don't have anything that can photo it that small.

OK, so after looking, should I bother submitting it for attribution? I'd hate to waste someone's time if it isn't even going to be considered or are the other items enough to try and have it verified.

I've never taken pictures like this so I hope they don't come in so big they take over the entire site. Here goes! The black spot on the picture is actually the gouge and there are some wierd heat traces going from black to neon blue along the edge of the gouge. Since I'm in Arizona, I'm calling this coin the Grand Canyon coin! :D
Attachments
1880 Morgan.JPG
1880 Morgan.JPG (188.3 KiB) Viewed 313 times
Planchet gouge 5.jpg
Planchet gouge 5.jpg (69.54 KiB) Viewed 313 times
DSCN1007 (4)_LI.jpg
DSCN1007 (4)_LI.jpg (213.82 KiB) Viewed 313 times

Packrat6

Re: Is this actually a VAM?

Post by Packrat6 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:50 am

Just an additional comment on the pictures above. The whole black area looks like the metal was burned and there is no way that gouge could have ocurred after the S had been stamped.

Advice anyone?

VAMbushed

Post by VAMbushed » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:36 am

Welcome. All Morgan and Peace dollars are vams, some are just worth a lot more than others. What you have on the "S" in PLURIBUS is a strike thru and/or an impurity streak. Vams are not identified by these. Hope this helps.

Packrat6

Post by Packrat6 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:27 am

Well that it a start and thank you. At least I now know what it is. Now I'm going to have to do some digging because I'm kind of technically inclined and want to know how it happened in a little more detail. I was looking for some of the posted marks on some of the Morgans I inherited from my Grandfather about 30 years ago and really didn't make the time to study them until I retired recently. Most of the time, I've been Machro oriented, but it now looks like I'm going to have to become more Micro oriented.Thanks again for the input.

pup_picker

Post by pup_picker » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:13 pm

VAMbushed wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:36 am
Welcome. All Morgan and Peace dollars are vams, some are just worth a lot more than others. What you have on the "S" in PLURIBUS is a strike thru and/or an impurity streak. Vams are not identified by these. Hope this helps.
i agree. +1